Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CarPC, or should that be a JeepPC (computer in a car!)  (Read 1347 times)

gregwho

CarPC, or should that be a JeepPC (computer in a car!)
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »

I'm fitting a computer in my Jeep with 7" touch screens (one in the dash, one in the back) to replace the factory radio unit  :icon_eek:.  Its something Ive wanted to do for a while, and apart from just wanting to do it to see if it works etc, I wanted to have a box that I can upgrade and tweak that will play audio, do sat nav, bluetooth phone, radio, rear view camera, movies in the back for my little 'un, connect to OBDII, tyre pressure monitoring etc etc.  I just wondered if anyone else on here has done something similar?  Particularly in a WJ, and if you have, do you have any pics of the screen being mounted in the dash? 

For anyone thinking about something similar, there aren't too many technical challenges or issues (so dont be scared!), as its essentially just a computer mounted in a car.  But things to watch our for are the connection to the steering wheel controls if you want to keep them, and also if you plan to use the stock audio system (which I'm trying to do) the infinity amp is expecting a high level input, but a PC outputs a line level signal and therefore you need to put a preamp between the computer and the stock amp, otherwise the sound is very quiet.  Happy to post pics/how to as I work stuff out etc if it would be useful to anyone else, just let me know.

scrw

Re: CarPC, or should that be a JeepPC (computer in a car!)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »

I am waiting for someone to make a Android head unit with a flip out screen, there are enough apps out there to make it a decent option.

UKJeeper

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:18:24 AM »

I took the lo-tech approach. Radio has a cassette deck, so i bought a 3.5" > Cassette adapter and plug it into my Galaxy Tab 7" on a dashboard mount. Voila, instant 7" touch screen with 6 way speakers!

gregwho

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »

I took the lo-tech approach. Radio has a cassette deck, so i bought a 3.5" > Cassette adapter and plug it into my Galaxy Tab 7" on a dashboard mount. Voila, instant 7" touch screen with 6 way speakers!

It may be low-tech, but damn its easy and effective!!

scrw

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »

hmmm, now I know you can get an adaptor to plug an ipod (spit) into the cd changer socket on Jeep head units, wonder if you can do the same for a tablet.....

UKJeeper

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »

As i said, cheap and cheerful:

scrw

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »

nice, they look very big when you stick them on the dash!

where did you get your tape thingy ma bob from?

UKJeeper

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »

where did you get your tape thingy ma bob from?

Fleabay. cost a whopping £3!
Pages: [1]   Go Up