Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep Cherokee Sport CRD 2004 small issues  (Read 2230 times)

disko_deano

Jeep Cherokee Sport CRD 2004 small issues
« on: October 09, 2011, 05:38:15 PM »

Hi

I have posted in suppliers area looking for a reliable garage in my area... gravesend kent

I have a few small issues with my Jeep I hoped you guys might be able to shed some light on!

Being new to jeep having owned mainly fords mondeo's focus's transit vans lol

Vehicle details
Jeep Cherokee Sport CRD 2.5l Turbo Diesel 2004, 102k miles
Cam belt done at 90k miles
Vehicle has been looked after rather well up to now as it was my dads! he has 'inherited' a much newer vehicle and this has been siting on the drive for 6 months

issues
1, brakes are spongy and brake pedal has a lot of travel before anything happens... it stops fine but feels rather vague under braking
2, clutch pedal is very stiff - I will have a very strong left leg after a weeks commute round the M25 lol
3, under 'engine braking' I can slightly hear transmission noise (like reversing noise) Im worried this is differential wear...
I know I should use brakes to brake etc I am trying to stop this habbit
4, hand brake feels quite loose? - does work when pulled up high...
5, resistor ladder was hadit for blower motor going to order one on monday

How often should I get this vehicle serviced considering the mileage
I will be doing a combination of family runs to shops etc at weekends and trips round the M25 to work durning the week
around 20 - 25k miles per year
Should I get engine and / or transmission oil replaced more regularly to reduce wear / increase lifetime??

It will rarely go off road and it has what my dad called dual purpose tyres on the front.... what are the best 'low rolling resistance' but budget tyres for it?
I realise it is going to be a lot more expensive on tyres than my focus!!

Any help / advise is much appriciated
Many thanks

Best regards
Deano

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: Jeep Cherokee Sport CRD 2004 small issues
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »

Yo Deano,

Welcome and I'll try through my Merlot infused haze to shed some light on the quirks of the 2.5 CRD Cherokee.

Mrs. got a 2003 one with 120K on the clock.

1. do not recognize the vague braking issue.  Changed discs & pads + hand brake shoes earlier this year and braking is pretty responsive. :icon_winkle:
2. Clutch....yep....your left leg will shortly resemble Arnie Swarzeneggers.  Mrs. can crush a walnut with her calves  :hysterical:
3. Do not know what the issue might be here....if any.
4. You can adjust handbrake with the adjusters in the drum.  Inside rear drum, pri out rubber dust cap and turn adjusters until ok.
5. Yep.....blower only works on 4.  No biggy here....yeah would need to replace but her indoors doesn't mind so not too bothered.

Although its got the vastly improved VM lump (over the XJ) I'd still keep an eye on the fluids and not let oil go past 5000 miles.

When tyres came up bagged 4 sport rims + new Goodyear Wranglers (incl.) off the bay for 200 squids....buy of the century. :icon_super:

Only major issue was an intermittant brake down....one of the data transmission cables running under the airbox severed.  £2.50 bit of cable......£350 Jeep garage bill :011:

All in all Mrs. is very happy with the truck.

Focus... :icon_eek: .....Pfffffffffffff

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »

If it's your first Jeep after driving cars I suspect the brake travel is just something that feels different and is not actually a problem. I remember thinking the same of my XJ and the steering too after driving sporty hatchbacks for years.

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »

Jeep handbrakes are only there because they're legally required. Don't expect it to be of much use. Always make sure
you leave it in gear when parked.

As for the tyres, sounds like you have different ones on the front and back. This is a bad idea on a 4WD vehicle - different
tyres have difference circumferences and when in 4WD will cause issues for the transfer case. I'm not going to recommend
tyres, other than to say make sure they're all the same.

disko_deano

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »

Hi there

Thanks for this guys

Your help is much appriciated

over in the suppliers forum Bulldog67 has recommended a local garage to look after my Jeep...

I feel much more comfortable now and tbh after driving to work and back today clutch was ok and brakes felt better... I think its just me getting used to it!

Anyhow thanks so much

will update how she is after being serviced and checked out by the garage!

Can anyone recommend a good set of road tyres, after checking all four tyres on it are AT and not strictly road tyres??

Best regards

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up