Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ tyre rub  (Read 2017 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
CJ tyre rub
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »

Guys I've noticed that I get tyre rub when locking the steering, its rubbing on the front section of leaf spring, I'm running 10" rims (offset unknown) with 33" tyres, is this common? Do I need a spacer? or do I reduce my lock to lock?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: CJ tyre rub
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:22:42 PM »

Tis the wider 10 inch rims and 33s .............. best to space and not lose any turning circle :icon_twisted:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »

:imwitstupid: Molotov was the same

and they always look better sittin a bit wider
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »

:imwitstupid: Molotov was the same

and they now look better with the rubbing part of the tyre removed
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »

Ok, thought that may be the case, so how much of a spacer do I need, or is it a case of suck it and see?

eastryjeep

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:17:15 AM »

Sorry to be the wotsit in the wood pile, but are you not just knackering up your steering and suspension geometry up still further by adding spacers?
I'd personally reduce my turning circle and start a 3 point turn in reverse from now on, that's what I did and can't say I've noticed any day to day difficulties in the past 10 or so years - but maybe I'm just used to crap handling now!

Edit #1
Remember that messing with a couple of bolts is far cheaper at this time of year too. (Once earned, Brownie Points should not be squandered lightly, and only ever in Summer)!

jeepcj

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »

Most wheel spacers tend to be 30mm
1978 CJ7, 360, q/trac, dana 44s, insas
1966 CJ5, F-134, T90, D18, super swampers

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »

He's right most are 30mm so you can bury the lug nut within the spacer........think that's the only reason.................. however :icon_twisted:

One's I've had in the past for car related stuff have been anything from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch and mean you have to source (dorman?) longer wheel studs. So much better as less to come loose and no extra strain on wheel bearings etc..... well no more than extra offset wheels...

Jack wheels off ground and apply washers to studs and refit and then cycle steering to get full lock.then you can  measure the ally/steel unobtainium made spacer you need..............and you wont end up with mud all over that new paint :icon_biggrin:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »

despie forever being warned of the dangers of wheel spacers, i am yet to meet someone who has had an issue with (as long as u dont cheapskate)
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

eastryjeep

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »

Sorry guv, its just that I dont like them.
Maybe they are just another bit to forget to replace when changing a wheel, I dunno!

But at ((2*30mm)+(2*50mm))=160mm, plus the heavier rims and tyres, that is possibly a lot more strain than those axles were intended for. (just wonderin' aloud is all).

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »

the axles will be able to cope with them no problem but what you might find is that the wheel bearings will wear a lot sooner.personally I don't like wheel spacers for off roading as its easier to snap studs/bolts but thats just a personal view

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »

I've been running 30mm billet spacers for years now and never had any issues with excessive bearing wear, snapped studs or upsetting my suspension geometry. They have had some serious abuse offroad with no issues whatsoever.

Just remember to use this type. They are very strong unlike the type that extend your existing studs and use a loose spacer to fill the gap.
[attachment=1]

Nosebolt

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »

I've been running 30mm billet spacers for years now and never had any issues with excessive bearing wear, snapped studs or upsetting my suspension geometry. They have had some serious abuse offroad with no issues whatsoever.

Just remember to use this type. They are very strong unlike the type that extend your existing studs and use a loose spacer to fill the gap.
[attachment=1]

:iagree:
I have used the same from day 1 with tonka without issue

eastryjeep

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »

Must admit they look very pretty.

Now I'm just gonna have to hate 'em on princilpe. !!!   :hysterical:

Nosebolt

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »

Now I'm just gonna have to hate 'em on princilpe. !!!   :hysterical:

can't knock a man for his principles  :hysterical: :hysterical:

it all goes to application, that type of spacer puts no more stress on the hubs than wider wheels with bigger offset, seen some that have stud extenders that make my skin crawl, down to common sense and some engineering basics really
Pages: [1]   Go Up