Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long Arm Kit?  (Read 6688 times)

big_patrol

Re: Long Arm Kit?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

Do you think it would be worth the expensive seeing as he has already got 4.56?

I wish I had known that before buying the 4.56's. I am happy as it is but seems I would have been happier with 4.88's. I have been on two big trips in 4.56/33" tyre motors and always thought they run out of steem. Thats why I choose as I did.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 02:26:13 PM »

The bigger you go the more the compromise........

I found standard transfercase ratio 2.6 whatever to be great in the mud and on trails and thro water.....
but useles in the rocks banging around and clutch slip and stuff needed.....

And as IOM said a 4 to 1 ratio that's in the Klune is too low and causes spin and digging in in the mud.... but is better on rocks cos of more control.....

Stickin them together and having 11.6 to 1 is mental in the rocks and allows hand throttle and finessing with the brake pedal to allow amazing control........ but is useless elsewhere........

So..you need all three....... but then other issues raise there ugly heads :icon_twisted:

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »

For general toodling  about and the odd pay and play day, no I don't think it's worth changing to 4.88, since you are looking at £500 per axle plus labour if you do it properly including changing all the bearings and oil seals.

Interestingly my TJ was originally geared with 4.56's  for 34's, with a set of 33" mt's for summer froading and road use, I have put 35's on it and hoped it would be ok. Like I've said before, in my application 4.88 would be ideal, plus I would then have option of running 37's, but then I really would need certainly a pair of bigger axles to suit.

Then again, I've been in timed sections flat out in 5th low, and could really use another gear or lower ( numbered) diff ratio's. It's all horses for courses really :-)

Another timed section I did was in thick bog, I started in 2nd and changed into 3rd, but then started to run out of power so tried to shift back into 2nd and stopped, and then had to winch myself out. In hind sight I should have kept it rolling slower in 2nd BUT kept moving, and driven out. It's all about learning how best and most efficiently to drive the set up you have......... Anyhow, wasn't this thread about long arm?

bellysgonnagetchya

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »

Its all good info for me willo!

I know the TJ will be a little breathless on long runs on the road but with 35" Silverstone extremes the ride will be crap anyway! LOL
I will be keeping my BFG 33 10.50.15 muds for most of the day to day use but fancied a set of extremes for pay and play days etc.

The long arm idea has now been ditched as the funds just wont allow Sooper Dooper Suspension AND Wheels/Tyres. So I have decided to keep the RE short arm 3.5" superflex kit but also give it a 1.25" Body Lift, 1" engine lift, Rough Country 'Tummy Tuck' raised skid plate, Pin Bar eliminators, bump stop extensions, and a few other small bits and bobs!
Once the Body lift has been fitted I will look at how to raise the Fuel Tank up an inch to gain a bit more clearance at the rear.

If anyone has any more sugestions on how to get a bit more clearance or opinions on ratios/long arms etc please post em up as I wanna learn as much as poss so I can make educated decissions in the future rather than just guessing! LOL.

Cheers Guys......

Nosebolt

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »

have you looked at this, only a rough guide but might help

Delk

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

I have a one inch body lift and managed to raise my fuel tank close two inches. I cut the upper lips of the front and back of the metal (weak) skid plate and welded them lower down raising the tank up to the bottom of the body tub. It was a free fix that has saved me a lot of time since I havn't had to pull the tank and bash the dents out in a some time now.

The jeep has had a hole bag of suspension bits over the years under it and over time I built my own long arm kit. I already had good springs and shocks I didnt need to be replaced so no need to spend money on new ones.

Gearing wise I am not set up for playing in the UK mud like I was doing this weekend but it sure sounds good flat out in fifth gear. The jeep has 36" tires, 5.13 gears and a 4-1 kit in the tcase. Pushing it all is a 4.7 stroker with a home modified exhaust to get around the four link rear suspension. The best thing is it sounds completly different then any of the V8 or diesel rovers around Norfolk.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »

i have 4.88

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

big_patrol

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »

Yeah I agree that It definately makes a massive difference when you consider your intended use.

Silverstones are tiny by the way alot smaller than 35" not even measurng 34 infact.

If i had any faith in the front axle I would love some low gearing and head for the rocks but the extra torque you can apply when doing this is just not dana 30 freindly. As somebody who trials alot I like to drive things in one fluid motion and the 2nd gear Im left with at the moment is near perfect for that. If it was any lower I would fail on alot of the climbs. It is nicely geared for a good punch of the throttle at the bottom meaning I can let the momentum of the car ease the stress to the driveline.

But in future when I use the vehicle for winch style events Im sure Ill miss a nice low 1st to inch about with.

What are you prefered off road situations?

Danny

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »

I don't do MUD or deep WATER!!!

"Not all those who wander are lost"

big_patrol

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »

Now that is a  :icon_super: pic

No vids of how it ended up like that is there?

bellysgonnagetchya

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »

Thats a class pic! Bet its a beast in action  :icon_super:

Cheers for that chart Nosebolt, looks like 35s with 4.56 diffs is just about right.

I have been checking out what you say big_patrol and yes those Silverstone Extremes seem to be comming up very small! I measured the BFG mt's fitted and they are an exact 33" so I dont see any point spending a whole bundle on a set of tyres that are meant to be 2" taller but in reality are only 0.5" bigger, maybe il look into a set of Insa Turbo - Special Tracks in 285/75/16 they have been reported to come out approx 34"

Idealy I would like a set of Simex Jungle Trekker 2's in 34 10.50 15. But as any Simex's for sale are rarer than hens teeth these days or stoooooopid money im not being left many options. I have 1 lead that I will try and follow up tomorrow for a set of Fedima Trekkers in a 35 10.50 16 fitment so fingers crossed!

big_patrol

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 07:24:45 AM »

I can highly reccomend the creepy crawleys in a 35. They are not just as aggressive as the simex. But I have used them for a good few years on lots of different cars now. As a tyre to use on all surfaces I have found them hard to beat. In quarry conditions they are fantastic. Due to the wranglers having decent pwer/weight they can clear them well in the mud too.

The measure a little over 34 1/2.

Danny

Warthog

• Bla, bla, bla....
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Proper Job!
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »

I don't do MUD or deep WATER!!!

35's are sooo yesterday... :003:

44's or bigger is the the way to go, otherwise you'll be winching like the guys on 31's and 33's

Where's does it all end... :icon_winkle:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »

I think it ends with 20" mog wheels and agricultural monsters at 47-54"                  ooohhh yes please nurse :ace:

big_patrol

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »

It never ends thats the trouble. 44's would be lovely but im not sure they would drive to work very well. Plus I would cry everytime I saw any ware.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »

I think it ends with 20" mog wheels and agricultural monsters at 47    ooohhh yes please nurse :ace:

I have the 47" tyres here and in the very near future will be looking for some Mach5 20" double beadlocks - soon as the 75 stops licking me sacks every week!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »

I looked..and Stazworks do a 20" double with insert etc       (like the buggy??)

I stopped looking when I clocked the $$$$.. nice but with import gonna be £600 per rim easy :jpshakehead:

Need an outfit  that can redo the PCI of a Mog to 8 on 6.5.... for less fluff.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

I have some 35x12.5x16 Creepy Crawlers only slightly used that could go for the right price if you're interested?

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

never in 15's  :011:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

bellysgonnagetchya

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »

I have some 35x12.5x16 Creepy Crawlers only slightly used that could go for the right price if you're interested?

PM Sent!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up