Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Long Arm Kit?  (Read 6690 times)

bellysgonnagetchya

Long Arm Kit?
« on: January 01, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »

Hiya Guys,

After the fire with the XJ (Some of you will remember the horror story!) I decided to buy another Jeep to take my mind off things and seem to have ended up with a nicely modded 2003 TR2 TJ, It has a few decent mods already with 3.5" RE SuperFlex kit, Warn winch, SYE, ARB Lockers Front & Rear, On Board Air, Snorkle, Sliders, D44 Rear axle, Diff gaurds, 33" BFG Muds, etc.

After getting home today from a dirty day of playing at Piccadilly Woods (Pay & Play site in West Sussex) I have decided that the old girl may need a bit more ground clearance! I am booked in for the Exmoor Challenge in March with some friends so would be looking to purchase some 33" Extreme Mud Tyres anyway but im now thinking of the posibility of a set of 35's with some spring spacers and longer shocks or a Rough Country 6" Long arm kit.

I know that if I lift the TJ with spacers, the short arms will give a harsh ride but will be the cheapest option, or I could splash the cash (Money allowing!!) and get the long arm kit which will make for a nice ride again and offer more flex!

Has anyone had any experiance with Long Arm Kits on Wranglers, especially TJ's? Looking for some personal opinions really!

Cheers for the help fellas.....Chris

Panic mechanic!

Re: Long Arm Kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »

is this mocaj's old one?

bellysgonnagetchya

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »

is this mocaj's old one?

Not as far as im aware bud.

It was owned by the guy who ownes True Grip Offroad near Canterbury. He bought it then sent it to FTE for all the mods ready to use on an event in Switzerland I believe, he then sheared the rear prop off somehow on a round a bout over here then it didnt really move for 3 years!

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »

are ok lol , well whatever you do don't go short arm, had one been there didn't like it.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »

Its not my old one, same colour and year tho

someone will be along with first hand experience of long arms, there are a few who have them on here

don't forget your gearing will need looking at for 35's, that is if its not done already  :icon_winkle:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

bellysgonnagetchya

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »

Sorry! Forgot to add that it has already been regeared to 4.56 axles and the speedo has been calibrated for 35's

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »

most of the spend already done then

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

bellysgonnagetchya

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »

Pretty much! Would still like a hard top for it and a few other bits but I don't have bottomless pockets so it's gotta be done when when I got the dosh!

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »

sorry to hijack, but whats the event on exmoor? At some point I intend to get my TJ to picadilly woods.

mmm Long arm, yes I'd like some of those too!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

re panics comment whilst valid as an opinion i think its fair to say tank the destroyers view would be of more use to you as he and panic had the same jeep and tank pushed it much harder

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »

yes he did..... he broke it lol

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 09:21:48 PM »

sorry to hijack, but whats the event on exmoor? At some point I intend to get my TJ to picadilly woods.

see the thread on TKORC from today? looks like mud heaven
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »

I have owned two TJ's with long arm - first was 4" RE and the second is 5.5" Clayton - both have advantages/disadvantage I believe you can only get the RE through AEV now Clayton is still in business in NJ.

Do you need hard core long arm?

For 35's you need 4.88 R&P.

Oh and I also have spaned the green TJ as above.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Tank

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »

Thats a bit unfair,I didnt break it,the mud in the clutch broke it...... :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting: Re the truck,i had no problems as such with the short arm.Was a little twitchy on road though with no rear anti roll bar but after owning a CJ7 with a 6.6 litre engine,i am used to a twitchy jeep.Only thing i found was that as it had no re-gear it struggled a little on the 33s gear wise but as yours is re geared its not a problem

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »

as kev said you are known as tank the destroyer....... wonder how you got that name? lol :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Tank

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

Its a misnomer thats for sure

bellysgonnagetchya

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 10:02:48 AM »

sorry to hijack, but whats the event on exmoor?

This is the event we are doing on Exmoor http://www.4x4onexmoor.co.uk/

Piccadilly Woods was a mire! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO muddy and slippy even the track out of the site were hard, some had to winch almost out of the site! LOL

big_patrol

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

I now own the green tj mentioned above and have lowered it to a 2" lift with 35's and 4.56 r'n'p and its very very capable, I have already abused the hell out of it and its alot of fun. The short arm is only any good when kept low, once you go high they just dont work. I have ditched the tre's on the panhards in favour of rose joints and have gained clearance with a fairly flat skid. It drives soooo muuuch better on the road to. It is better now with 35" crossplys than it was with 33" radials before. Tank no wonder it was twitchy there was an abundence of loose bolts and knackered bushes through out the suspension.

I wanted long arm after experiencing short arm tjs in the past but Im glad I tried this first. I dont know if you saw my thread on the tj but It flexes very well. The nice thing is that due to making room for upwards travel, its flex I already had. The low centre of gravity and near factory angles mean you can use the power alot more effectively.

Danny

willo

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »

For 35's you need 4.88 R&P.

IoM is correct....

big_patrol

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »

I use secong gear the majority of the time with my 35's. 3rd is there is you want to climb and first is very low if you wanna crawl. Although 4.88's would make 3rd a little less mental I think 4.56's are more than upto the job for 35's. In my opinion.

willo

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »

trust me, over time IF you are on 35's that measure 35", then you will find like me that 2nd is great for most stuff, then you run out of revs in 3rd, and when winch assisting and slow nadgery stuff, 1st is not low enough......then again if i had one of those klune underdrive things, that would help, but then if i had that much fluff I'd have a whole  host of other gucci stuff too! :003:

big_patrol

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »

Surely 4.88 makes you run out of revs in 3rd quicker?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »

Having had both.............. 33s and 35s with 4.56 ratios............. I have to agree........ with all above.

33s off road with 4.56 is just great thro the 231 standard ratio....... on road is good down to 30 in 5th and good pull to 70 and above...trips up A1 to Tong got me 18mpg.

35s in the same rig and below 52(on satnav) and vibration cos engine under load so need to change down.... extra weight and rotational gyro meant acceleration a LOT slower and breathless at 70.  Consumption down to 14mpg.

I would say go as deep as the axle ratio availability allows... sadly dana 30 4.88 is lowest
If you got 44s then 5.13 is there for you.......

THEN larger tyres and..................oh a whole world of choice and fluff pain :hysterical: :icon_twisted: :icon_super:

willo

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »

Surely 4.88 makes you run out of revs in 3rd quicker?
I possibly phrased it wrong, what I mean is there is not enough torque in 3rd and as such you will end up stalling

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »

On the silver wrangler (the mafia) I have 5.13 and 37" tyres with 3.8 ATLAS and it's too deep!!!

33" is 4.56
35" is 4.88

It just works - but hey we all have opinions!!

The Buggy has 44" tyres but that's another tread.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up