Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chips  (Read 2126 times)

rosie5golf

Chips
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:15 PM »

I have seen these performance enhancing chips on ebay for about £80-90 and wondered if anyone has any experience of using one. I just feel that I could do with a bit more power.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
Re: Chips
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »

in a word no
the cheap one just tell the engine its colder than is so it puts more fuel in.

Nosebolt

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »

whats your history with Jeeps?

many don't realise how different the power delivery will be on a Jeep, don't expect it to drive like a soft roader or normal car

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »

Fired up the frier in the garage and we had some for supper, very nice thanks  :003:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

frosty 1

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: JK Wrangler, TJ Wrangler, WJ Grand cherokee
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »

i have a Tunit one on my JK diesel, cost me £400 including setting it up in there workshop with a lap top. very happy with it, and its adjustable. then once set up you can remove it in 5 mins, ( for servicing if your truck is under warranty) and put it back again afterwards. don't know anything about the cheep ones. frosty

daved

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:34:29 PM »

I'll chuck a spanner in the works here. Some of theses chips (in my experience) definitely do achieve at least some of what they claim. I used a branded one (cant remember the name, they were like rocking horse shit to get hold of for nissans) on my Terrano. What a difference. It basically shifted the power/torque band down a few revs and the car flew in comparison. Interestingly I was also running it on svo and it did not suffer any of the faults often associated with svo such as lower mpg (actually improved) so whilst I cant enter the 2d / 3d mapping vs standard ecu profile arguments because I dont know the ins and outs , proof of the pudding over approx 25 000 miles  :icon_super:

As for jeeps, i used an unbranded adjustable one from ebay on my wj . The 5 cylinder 80 000 mile engine seemed to react favourably to it. Definite improvement in fuel consumption and smoother bottom end performance. No massive noticeable improvement in performance but then no problems, again over approx 25 000 miles .

daved

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »

i have a Tunit one on my JK diesel, cost me £400 including setting it up in there workshop with a lap top. very happy with it, and its adjustable. then once set up you can remove it in 5 mins, ( for servicing if your truck is under warranty) and put it back again afterwards. don't know anything about the cheep ones. frosty

Tunits, they also got favourable reports on the nissan forum. wish I could remember the brand I had on the nissan derrrrr!!!   :017: :017: :017: :017: :017:

frosty 1

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: JK Wrangler, TJ Wrangler, WJ Grand cherokee
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:04:03 AM »

jeep will fit one to WH GC's, don't know the details, but it does not affect the warranty

daved

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »

Set off my desire to research after reading this thread.

My readings are using the onboard average mpg indicator backed up with quick calculations at fill up. More importantly all the readings are consistantly from the same source (ie the onboard) across a variety of road conditions and day to day indicated the same. Interestingly the WK also measures in US gallons so you can add 20% to convert to UK.

The tuning box, with a min of modification that I used on my WJ fits my WK (with advice from original seller). It alters the ecu map. It does not "fool" the cold start to incite over-fuelling and it does not make the diesel pump work at a higher pressure.

So for the past couple of weeks Ive been running it. The results are quite good. No noticeable loss in power or performance, possibly better at lower revs. Engine runs smooth and sweet and easily achieves cruising speeds.

Economy is improved. On my work run which is a funny old mixed drive on congested dual carriageways I normally get 26 ish average at best, often less.
With the chip this is now consistently around 30 with ease.

On a steady run @ 60 mph for 15 miles or so it easily cracks 34 , usually higher if I let the "I know best" cruise control run the show. Previously 30 was a good result.

That's a pretty consistent increase in mpg in the area of 15%. As I use at least £200 of fuel per month even 15% saving means at least £30 saved per month. On the £85 box that means break even within 3 months. I broke even ages ago so now its a no brainer saver tbh.

Add that to the fact that even @ 70 mph I can achieve at least an indicate 32mpg , add the 20% for US to UK and Im heading towards 40mpg. On a beast like this Thatll do me nicely  :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

Put it in perspective, if a filling station dropped its prices by 15% there'd be queues stretching for miles.

(for the record all maths off the top of my head and rounded down so as not to overhype it  :icon_winkle: )

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »

Wks read in imperial gallons not US as long as the body control module is configured for UK market.

daved

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

Wks read in imperial gallons not US as long as the body control module is configured for UK market.

Well thats burst my bubble. lol.

I always suspected it wasnt the case hence my math on saving being done without it and if it existed, it was the bonus.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 02:24:58 AM »

With gravy...

rosie5golf

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input and, thanks Daved for your research. I am not looking for super power but, a more economical use of my wonderful Jeep. If it gives me a smoother engine note ( as it does sound agriculteral) and a few more m.p.g, that's all I want.
What I didn't want to do is buy something that would ruin my Cherry (my wifes name for the jeep).
As a Cornwall Councillor, I travel extensively all over Cornwall and use about £60 worth of diesel per week so, anything that can save me a few bob would be great and don't say buy a smaller vehicle 'cos I love driving my Jeep.
I only want to spend about £80-£100  so if any one has a suggestion on what to buy, I would be greatful.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »

Anything for that price will be useless. Spend it on maintenance in stead.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:44:10 AM »

Buy a KnN filter ...open up more RBs.s....make Dutch your allocated ambassador for Kernow.....free Doombar for all Birtys who head your way or Cornish Knocker.....

Peace and old Free songs from the shire... :icon_super: :greggmo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up