Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone help  (Read 2005 times)

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
anyone help
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:47 AM »

guys can anyone help me find info on swaping yj springs onto me cj please? there are just a couple of things i need to clear up reguarding how its meant to work and how things fit and stuff. ta.

Warthog

• Bla, bla, bla....
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Proper Job!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: anyone help
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »

If you're doing spring over. It is normal to use 4 rear HD Wrangler spring, cos the front ones are longer.

Thought this strange but tis what I've done on the 1 Ton and it sits level :icon_twisted: and seems to flex and do what it's told :icon_super:

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »

How have you dealt with axle wrap?
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »

26 leaves on the drivers side sorted that out

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »

pot kettle  black  :hysterical:
and it does take one to know one

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

26 leaves on the drivers side sorted that out

:hysterical:

Pillock

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15:57 AM »

How have you dealt with axle wrap?

With a huge anti wrap bar (pic in 1 ton build) no access to my pics on this !

Works a treat with the weight of Dana 60 and a 14 bolt at 500lbs plus each and 39.5" on H2 rims....  I was surprised as thought the wrangler springs too soft..... But a few outings and mayhem trying to do stuff without lockers had it bouncing all over the place but no wrap or damage......

So far!..... Gonna regret that now I'm sure :icon_twisted:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »

Right then passing the right computer and found some pics of the traction/ anti wrap bar:
[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]

Separation top to bottom is about 8-9" and length is 4" longer than prop and at the same angle......
6mm plate with lightening holes :hysterical: drilled to hold it together.

Sometimes you see them on the left...nooooooo. as the axle makes it all squat to right and lift left due to rotation of ring gears. As I said OK so far..... As of Sat I now have gone from 4.10 to 5.38 with a full detroit locker so time will tell :icon_twisted:

Anti wrap on front does not seem to be an issue....... but dont go shackle reversal....... despite the bollocks writ.
On a heavy axle this will make axle move rearward and will twist and then leaves at front reversal mounted point will want to splay out like the fingers on your hand ........mullared spring resulting :icon_twisted:

Have researched this and seen loads of pics of this..................

Shackle revrsal is ok spring under smaller wheels and lighter axle and less hardcore wheeling and will give a better/softer ride but more dip when under braking............

Just my 2 cents worth......... others might have researched differently............ but works for me :icon_super:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »

Anti wrap on front does not seem to be an issue....... but dont go shackle reversal....... despite the bollocks writ.

Are you referring to the rear of the Molotov?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »

Err.? No Mr BD was referring to the front axle

Shackle reversal is when the front of the front spring is rigid mounted thro bushes to the chassis and the rear is then given extended ( or not) shackle duty. gives a softer ride on road but dives on braking. and as I said flecks it up royally of road.

Also got to thank Double J for the length of tube I blagged off him as he was leaving Blighty, that went into making the wrapbar.....all 8 feet of it :icon_super:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 10:24:15 PM »

ahhh good, so shackle flip is differnt
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 10:26:45 PM »

Like the way you've done that.

How have you mounted the the anti wrap bar at the chassis end to allow for axle flex?  I see you've gone for a floating mount rather than fixed but how have you allowed it to twist?

WillCJ

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: '83CJ7 V8, 2012 JKU 2.8CRD, '98CJ7/M38
  • Year: '83
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »

guys can anyone help me find info on swaping yj springs onto me cj please? there are just a couple of things i need to clear up reguarding how its meant to work and how things fit and stuff. ta.
Just done mine, with 4" YJ springs, back one's bolt straight in, front ones you need to use YJ spring hangers or CJ rear ones (I had some CJ ones knocking about) The wider front hangers have to be moved forward one bolt hole (the spring is 1" longer), remove the big rivets in the chassis and use this as the forward mounting hole, and weld the chassis for extra strength. make a spacer to fill the gap left at the steer box mount.
Check the front propshaft for travel, mine was full of mud and would not stretch the extra distance till cleaned out.
If you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough!

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »

done. thanks for the input guys. still a couple of bits to do but seems ok so far. gotta get busy on the yj and mandas tj next. :greggmo:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »

Like the way you've done that.

How have you mounted the the anti wrap bar at the chassis end to allow for axle flex?  I see you've gone for a floating mount rather than fixed but how have you allowed it to twist?

At axle end are 2 suspension bushes with grease or zero fittings at the chassis end is a 3 inch shackle with again suspension bushes at each end. this allows for axle movement up and down and in a brutal and restricted way some twist as the nylons are not torqued up too tight.

have seen others with a threaded arrangement at the chassis end  that will twist unrestricted, but for the mo this seems to work for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up