Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ radiator oddness (size)  (Read 1824 times)

ShayneJ

WJ radiator oddness (size)
« on: April 30, 2012, 01:12:44 AM »

well my WJ ( a 4.7 for ref) decided to develop a crack in the pass side end tank.

Well a guy i know had one and sent it to me now i checked the part number on the sticker on it
and indeed it is for a 4.7 WJ all the hose, cooler and mounting points look to be in the correct
places so stripping i go when i discover that the (NEW) rad is about 2 inches taller than the old one :017:
it sits in the mount holes and the 2 bolts 2 thirds of the way up line up fine all the hoses n pipes fit
normally and the AC rad and the other cooler mount up in front fine.

But the fan frame sits to high for the screws to line up with the brackets on the rear of the rad
without trimming off some of the topcap of the cowling :icon_eek:

So what the hell is going on its labelled as a 4.7 wj rad yet its taller are there two versions
like a tropical climate type or what?

Panic mechanic!

Re: WJ radiator oddness (size)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »

don't tell me its one of the cheap one from ebay? cos if it is, It won't last long.I got one here that was fitted to mine and it lasted 8 months thats all.

ShayneJ

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »

don't tell me its one of the cheap one from ebay? cos if it is, It won't last long.I got one here that was fitted to mine and it lasted 8 months thats all.

Dont know it's origins my mate had it in his garage from another job acquired for him by someone else :017:

but the sticker had the correct part 5xxxxx number on it and the layout is identical to the original unit
just 2 inches taller and about half an inch wider but only the fan housings mounts were not lined up
they are surprisingly  :lol_hitting: in that they are in exactly the right place but the core being taller
means (my) fan housing is now 2 inches to low to line up due to the top forward overhang :017:

scrw

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »

& mine has lasted around 2 years so far, best 85 spent. From memory the 4litre & v8 are different, will check my spare one i have at home

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

they are different. oil coolers on different sides on a v8 nearside on 4.0 and offside of V8

ShayneJ

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

they are different. oil coolers on different sides on a v8 nearside on 4.0 and offside of V8

deff not that one.

All the fittings,mounts hose exits etc are in the same place as the old one its just as if the whole thing
has been stretched out 10% in proportions thus preventing the fan frame dropping low enough for its
screws to line up

Was wondering if maybe its for a 4.7HO or some special  but all the googling just throws up the
2 types my original and the 4L version with the cooler fittings on the wrong side and both hose exits at the top

anyhoo i have trimmed the offending bit of plastic off my fan frame screwed it on and all is well
temp perfect no leaks fan is clear to rotate just need to regas the AC.

it would just be nice to solve the puzzle.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »

maybe yours is the lo po v8 not the hi po version?

ShayneJ

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

maybe yours is the lo po v8 not the hi po version?

Yea mine is (was before i cut the main cat off) a "normal" one but i dont see any links for a (different) rad
for the HO engine and for the difference in output i would not really expect to find one apart from
the hideous cheap crappy plastic end cans it's more than adequate?
Pages: [1]   Go Up