Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This weeks Jeep purchases... not one but two...  (Read 2833 times)

Green Jeep

This weeks Jeep purchases... not one but two...
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:56:04 AM »

As some of you know a Wrangler YJ (leafer) is back in my life... its a cracking truck, drives really nice and everything works as it should, fitted 31" BF AT's and new front brakes and done some lanes,

Gotta have a proper look at it as it needs some chassis love... around the steering box area... yikes!

Its had a new clutch and gearbox, lots of history, voom voom...

Dutch is kindly sorting a bikini top from NL for me, then its roof, doors and screen off.... sweet!

Have already been bombing around with no drivers door  :D

Also got this Alfa 147 2 litre for my girlfriend, what an awesome car, quick through the county lanes, top spec, if you've never had an Alfa, get one of these!

Also bought this 60th Anniversary Cherokee, this model comes with Heated Leather... top spec, excellent history, picked it up from wales, needs ECU, no big problem, in at Auto Electricians at the moment...

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
Re: This weeks Jeep purchases... not one but two...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »

I quite like that collection, a good bit of dealing mate  :icon_super:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

Looks like some tidy purchases have been made.

Particularly liking the YJ. :greggmo:
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »

Erm, nice pad!
I had one of those Alfa's, the ecu kept packing up whilst driving, not good on the motorway, no lights, no steering, no engine no nothing.

Good luck with the yj :003:

UKJeeper

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »

Nice Cherk. Jealous.

Tragic

• Guru
  • Vehicle: A proper Jeep!
  • Year: 1993
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »

Gotta love an Alfa :003:
I had a 156 2.0 a few years ago. When it behaved itself and ran properly (which was rare....) it was EPIC!! Superb handling on the backroads and an effortless mile muncher.
Only parted with it after it spat chunks of gearbox casing across the road :icon_eek:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »

used to see a lot when i worked for an rac and aa contaractor

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Green Jeep

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:22:22 AM »

Thanks, yeah the YJ is real nice, everything works perfectly, front axle disconnect, even the courtesy lights along with this stange solar powered fan on top of the hard top that stops the cabin getting too hot on a sunny day...

As for Alfa's.... in the last 12 months I've sold over 250 cars, the worst cars for giving grief are VW/Audi's engine lights, traction lights, to the point where now I do not bother buying Golfs/Audi A3's, if anything VAG comes in as a trade in we make sure its real cheap. I had a 1.6 2000 Golf brand new as a company car, it had issues from day one, every service it had faults, some where never fixed over the 3 years/60,000... Even the 2005 2.0 GT TDi we had was nothing but trouble.

If you want a good car then I'd suggest Focus/Astra, but if you want something that's gunna put a smile on yer face, Alfa 147, I've had 6+ Alfa's in the last year, we did have one cut out, a wiggle of the wires near the battery and it fired up again. Get one with good history and as low as miles as poss and you'll be fine, they rev right out so make sure good oil and often changes and its all happy days....

Anyway back to the YJ, will be in the lanes as soon as I get the disabled tax status off it, oh joy a trip to DVLA.....

Bishops Finger

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »

Maf dude thats a top tip... :icon_biggrin:

Backs up why theres a Focus on me drive

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: Re: This weeks Jeep purchases... not one but two...
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »

With the alpha 156 the engine is superb along with the handling even with tyre pressures at 10psi

Sent from my LG-P970 using Tapatalk 2
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Green Jeep

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »

Maf dude thats a top tip... :icon_biggrin:

Backs up why theres a Focus on me drive

They are cracking cars, will get an ST170 when I find one at right price and miles...

To back up my anti Golf rant... just took a Mk4 Golf 2.0 GTi 2000 on PX, done some miles, full of K seal which has beltched out again, more lights on the dash than blackpool, engine shaking like a shitting dog... that will be going on the lorry to the scrap yard for weighing in, nice BBS alloys for ebay though  :icon_biggrin:

Oh but deep down a 3.2 Gta Alfa 147 would make for big smiles.... although the Seat Leon Cupra 1.8 20v Turbo was fun to take home today... just need to sell it quick lol!

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »

just out of interest look at the engine and tell me if its an AQY serial number

Green Jeep

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »

just out of interest look at the engine and tell me if its an AQY serial number

will do.. think its the 180hp... but its 6 speed and following the Audi TT's that means 225hp, it defo flies... 40 in first! It sounds like its had a little work, maybe header and air intake stuff... dunno, swapped it for a Fiat Diesel, Leon has bad paint, but nice with leather and in bright yellow... easy to find lol

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »

sorry I meant the Golf GTI! lol its a notoriously weak engine, runs hot and needs strict servicing and never allowed to run to low on oil,interestingly the 1.8 engine in the cupra is based on the older vw engine from the  mk1/mk2/mk3 golfs and is a lot better engine.

Green Jeep

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 06:06:31 AM »

sorry I meant the Golf GTI! lol its a notoriously weak engine, runs hot and needs strict servicing and never allowed to run to low on oil,interestingly the 1.8 engine in the cupra is based on the older vw engine from the  mk1/mk2/mk3 golfs and is a lot better engine.

This happened a lot with Golf IV, Seat and Skoda cars had less problems, I heard this was due to them having brand new factories and VW old machinery.... coupled with the above, seems to add up.... often car makers run new stuff out before its properly tested, try to get sales because of new and improved stuff, then use their cheaper brands to run out old stock out...

Leon has 110,000 on the clock... off to Exeter in it this morning :o) I note it doesn't have an MPG reader like Golfs LOL!

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »

with the mk4's its usually the 2.0 AQY thats gives the problem it has 2 main issues 1 it burns oil and 2 it eats 02 sensors and both have been traced to the same cause, poorly designed oil control ring on the pistons, on the original rings the oil scraper ring  allows oil past itself and it then burns the oil and coats the  02 sensors with soot and they pack up or burn out.
It doesn't help that the bottom of the pistons are sprayed with oil  when the engine is running  either took them a while to find it but the only  way to sort it is to  strip then engine down and replace the rings!

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »

you are wasted drivin chavs around in a limo dood
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Tragic

• Guru
  • Vehicle: A proper Jeep!
  • Year: 1993
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »

And that, my friends, is why the only VAG product you will find on my drive would be a TDI.

Except the 2.3 VR5 Passat I've had for the last 2 years......... :-[
In fairness, it's a good car and never let me down in 20,000 miles. Eats balljoints for breakfast though (10 so far!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up