Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Molotov brake issue  (Read 2330 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Molotov brake issue
« on: May 18, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »

So, set off this afternoon to take the Chief to the sparky dood, and after about 6 miles the brakes locked on, so parked up and waited, and set off again, 2 miles later first gear was the only option so stopped again.

This pattern continued until I got close to my bro house and as the truck was gettin close to overheatin as I was forcing to fight against the locked on brakes I intentionally cut the corner of the road (v close to overheat by this point) and kazaammm - the brakes suddenly unlocked

So what the WTF is goin on?

I never made it to the sparky, altho he has offered to fix the brakes as well if i can get it there. This happened before on the way to Clyro last year but it has been ok since then.

The only other connected prob that I know of is that the brake pedal goes rock hard after a mile or so.

Help  :003:

Cheers gents  :greggmo:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: Re: Molotov brake issue
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »

Normal problem for the xjs' normally likened to misshaped pistons which involves them beimg replaced

Posted from my phone as its quicker than the pc connection
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Bulldog67

• Guru
Re: Molotov brake issue
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »

is the binding and the rock solid pedal connected?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »

if you have let it stand for a while the pistons could have been stuck in the cylinders/calipers and have now freed themselves off,if you still have a rock hard pedal it can be down to the piston in the master cylinder sticking as well. You might need to go thru the whole hydraulic system to find the problem.You might get away with renewing all the fluid in the system tho.

dieselj20

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »

pistons or rubber brake hose

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:44:06 PM »

cheers, looks like a call to lightys again

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »

brake hoses the front flexys

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:09:54 AM »

hmmmm to be fair you had told me about 6 months ago the cause of the rock hard pedal :icon_redface:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »

just done a 10 mile trip and all is well again  :017:

how exactly does this work - can I risk the 40 mile trip to my sparky?

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »

Change the brake fluid....
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »

The sparky is gonna overhaul them, so will make sure he does.

The brakes jammed on months ago, then was ok, then back on again last friday, and now off again. I suppose Im thinkin it will be sods law that they will jam on again as soon as i set off on a long trip

dieselj20

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 07:37:16 PM »

check the brake peddle is returning all the way

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »

if its a right hand conversion the brake rod that goes across behind the dash can start to sieze

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:04:49 PM »

lot of things then really - im gonna take a chance and see if i can get it to the sparky, worse comes to worse the AA will just have to take it over there instead

jeepcj

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »

lot of things then really - im gonna take a chance and see if i can get it to the sparky, worse comes to worse the AA will just have to take it over there instead
So, set off this afternoon to take the Chief to the sparky dood, and after about 6 miles the brakes locked on, so parked up and waited, and set off again, 2 miles later first gear was the only option so stopped again.

This pattern continued until I got close to my bro house and as the truck was gettin close to overheatin as I was forcing to fight against the locked on brakes I intentionally cut the corner of the road (v close to overheat by this point) and kazaammm - the brakes suddenly unlocked

So what the WTF is goin on?

I never made it to the sparky, altho he has offered to fix the brakes as well if i can get it there. This happened before on the way to Clyro last year but it has been ok since then.

The only other connected prob that I know of is that the brake pedal goes rock hard after a mile or so.

Help  :003:

Cheers gents  :greggmo:
If you cant sought it out at home, take it on a trailer, sounds like a recipe for disaster taking down the road like that
1978 CJ7, 360, q/trac, dana 44s, insas
1966 CJ5, F-134, T90, D18, super swampers

dtooth

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »

has the master cylinder and servo been apart from each other at any point or changed ?

had a similar problem after doing ssbc conversion on a tj the pin/rod between the two needed 1/4 turn adjustment as it stopped the fluid returning properly causeing a lock after a few miles .

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »

they may have been as the owner before me was meant to have had the brake system overhauled, so will keep it in mind, cheers

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »

made it to the Sparky, 40 miles no probs except runnin bit hot  :icon_super:
Pages: [1]   Go Up