Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed with gearbox problem '97 GC  (Read 1993 times)

ukturbo2000

Help needed with gearbox problem '97 GC
« on: May 26, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »

Went to Bagshot today, had a great day until i got stuck in 3ft of water and filled the car with water. All was ok then after a short while the coolant temp went to about 105 degrees and gearbox stopped changing down when you stopped, so basically you were trying to pull away in top gear from standstill. This was intermittent until finally all drive was lost. looks like it was pushjing gearbox fluid out from dipstick. Car was running like a dream until 15 - 20 minutes after waterlogging. Any ideas what the problem could be.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
Re: Help needed with gearbox problem '97 GC
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »

You may of flooded the gear box with water

ukturbo2000

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »

You may of flooded the gear box with water

No water in gearbox, i've also checked for a crushed oil cooler pipe. Anyone know the location of the gearbox ecu ? any other ideas to try ?

Bishops Finger

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »

If it was pushing gearbox oil out of the dipstick science dictates something else has got in....suggest change gearbox oil and filter which I think it has..

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 10:37:31 PM »

are you sure the water never got in to box and are you sure the rad is clear and is the water in the rad clean or has the water gone in to the auto box via the cooler

i have a not good feeling about this

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

ukturbo2000

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »

are you sure the water never got in to box and are you sure the rad is clear and is the water in the rad clean or has the water gone in to the auto box via the cooler

i have a not good feeling about this

awaiting arrival of new filter, then going to flush complete system including torque converter by the cooler pipe removal method on youtube. No emulsified oil came out when box was drained, rad coolant still nice and blue. will see if cooler blocked when i do the flush. fingers crossed.

update : all works fine for about 3 miles then as temperature settles at norm she stops changing up from 2nd gear and reverse becomes very slippy clutch type of thing. Think maybe its time to ditch this bitch it's had far too much of my folding spent on it. Not what you want to hear folks but maybe i should have kept the old disco

ukturbo2000

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »

The End

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »

when you changed the fluids , you did manually select all gears on the box and left to run in them for a minute or so to fll the valve block up didn't you?

ukturbo2000

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »

when you changed the fluids , you did manually select all gears on the box and left to run in them for a minute or so to fll the valve block up didn't you?

sure did, tried it several times too. gearbox slips like a cat trying to bury a turd on a tin roof and gear oil gets hot enough to fry chips.
Gonna cut me losses i think, and if i can find a cheap decent GC to replace it then at least i got loads of good spares. If not then i lost a shed load of wedge

scrw

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »

isn't a gearbox swap worth a punt?

ukturbo2000

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »

isn't a gearbox swap worth a punt?

Under normal circumstances you're probably right, but, to be honest everytime i drive the thing something else goes wrong. I only finished the rear axle rebuild last friday, then saturday the box goes. Shame is , it's got almost 13 months mot left on it
Pages: [1]   Go Up