Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ fan removal, its stuck!!  (Read 1313 times)

scrw

WJ fan removal, its stuck!!
« on: May 26, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »

Right, have the old rad out (butched it to get it out as the fan nut is stuck fast) so have some space to get at it but it is stuck fast. Any ideas as how hold the pump pulley hard enough to really lean on the fan nut? Oh and being lazy here what size is the nut? I am using a BFO adjustable at the mo as my bigges spanner is 32mm and thats too small.
Before anyone say you don't need to take the fan off you do if you are not removing the air con rad which I am not  :banghead: :banghead:

Panic mechanic!

Re: WJ fan removal, its stuck!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »

er no you don't done it  several times, used a monkey wrench on the fan nut and  remember its a reverse thread if i remember correctly, and it takes a few whacks with a hammer on the wrench  to shock it loose.

scrw

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:11:23 PM »

There is physically no room between the air con rad and the viscous fan to take the rad & leccy fan out in 1 piece. Hitting a spanner on the water pump doesn't sound like a plan to me, asking for failed bearings. The FSM doesn't list any special tool to lock the pump  :017:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:15:41 PM »

no you use the wrench on the fan nut , it takes a few sharp blows but it comes out, have swapped rads out of the 4.0 wj here  about 6 times , found it easier last time to remove the slam panel and headlight to give you the extra room needed

scrw

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »

I get the hit the spanner on the nut thing & I have the slam panel/front end off. Air con rad is conneted with solid pipes and won't go forward enough to allow the rad to come out.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »

have you removed the 4x10mm bolts holding the shroud to the rad itself?, the first time I took the rad out  I did it that way.It is a bit fiddly to do but can be done.you can also lift the aircon rad up and out of the slots its located in so that you can move it forward to get a bit more room

scrw

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »

yes to both

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »

where are you? I am going to halifax tomorrow so might be able to pop in ( tanks the taxi service) the nuts 36mm  and 2 hands are always better cos it is a bugger to get off.

scrw

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

not on your way thanks anyway. going to dig out my oil filter strap wrench thingy in the morning & give that a go. Will get a 36mm spanner too rather than the adjustable I am using

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »

just make sure you tap it the right way! lol I must have spent 1/2 an hour before it finally gave  and I was not sure it had gone then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up