Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ US front lighting conversion  (Read 2212 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
XJ US front lighting conversion
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »

Hi guys,

I've been looking at XJs from the US, and I really prefer their lighting set up. I think I'm right in saying that their side markers and indicators both come on with the parking lamps and headlamps, and both flash when you indicate. Would it be legal to have that setup over here? If so, how hard would it be make them work like that?  :017:

Cheers!
Bryn

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
Re: XJ US front lighting conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »

You can't have the side markers and indicators come on with the side lights, t'ain't allowed here but you can modify the side markers to take a lamp unit and use then as side repeaters.

I did that on my XJ when the front fenders were cut back and the standard side repeaters fell over the hedge by accident.  :icon_eek: :icon_biggrin:
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »

Think it's called daytime running lights, not sure of legality but think it's a bit of pointless blinging in my purely functional opinion

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:03:30 PM »

Think it's called daytime running lights, not sure of legality but think it's a bit of pointless blinging in my purely functional opinion

Yeah, I can't stand the daytime running lights on new cars.  :jpshakehead:

I'm only interested in this because it comes stock in the US. If they never came with it as standard, then I wouldn't be interested at all!  :003:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »

You can't have the side markers and indicators come on with the side lights, t'ain't allowed here but you can modify the side markers to take a lamp unit and use then as side repeaters.

I believe you are wrong chris. you can as long as you retain the original white sidelights in the headlamps. don't you remember all the  disco's running round with them direct from factory?

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »

I believe you are wrong chris. you can as long as you retain the original white sidelights in the headlamps. don't you remember all the  disco's running round with them direct from factory?

WRONG.
This depends on the year - foooook me have VOSA!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:11:37 PM »

You need a fuse or relay for the daytime running light module I believe, it has been done but there are better things to spend your time on in my opinion

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »

if we are talking about the lights either end of the grill next to the headlamp I do not beleive I am wrong,they were only removed from UK versions as the UK/EU law requires a  white sidelight and as such  the yellow side/marker light breached that law , remember in america the headlight is a sealed beam type with out sidelight built into it, ours have that option.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »

You need a fuse or relay for the daytime running light module I believe, it has been done but there are better things to spend your time on in my opinion

I was just thinking, aren't daytime running lamps the ones that come on in the day, not night (pretty much do what they say on the tin!)?  :003:
I only want these to come on at night when I have my headlights on, so does that mean I'd just have to modify some wiring?

Just for the record - I'm probably not going to do this, I'd just like to figure out how to do this in case I get bored one day!

if we are talking about the lights either end of the grill next to the headlamp I do not beleive I am wrong,they were only removed from UK versions as the UK/EU law requires a  white sidelight and as such  the yellow side/marker light breached that law , remember in america the headlight is a sealed beam type with out sidelight built into it, ours have that option.

Yeah those are the ones I'm on about, as well as the indicators. So it wouldn't pass an MOT with them wired up to come on at night then?

Cheers for the help everyone!
Bryn

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:44 PM »

You might be right, but if you are why does every yank import motor you see over here have them disconnected?

Surly, if they're legal you'd just leave them be?

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 11:35:34 PM »

side lights any colour than white are an mot fail. you can have orange running lights but must have white side lights i think. not that anyone gives a fuck what i think.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »

Marker lights must be amber.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »

You might be right, but if you are why does every yank import motor you see over here have them disconnected?

Surly, if they're legal you'd just leave them be?

to be honest its usually down to the fact that they just redirect the feed to the white sidelight in headlamp/new lamp so it saves them a bit of wire and few connectors.and it saves them an hours thinking and work but they still charge for that bit.

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »

I'm still not convinced they're legal.  but I think it's more to do with the fact that they function as the indicators and you can't have indicators that show a constant orange light when 'off' and flash when 'on' in the UK

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »

you can't have the type that flash off , as in they are on constant then go off when the indicator is in operation but you can have the type that flashes brighter, so 5w is marker light and 21w indicator. There can be a problem with cars that use can-bus systems as it can trigger false readings and on the newer shape mustang it can burn out the light controler as its all integrated.So its not advisable to play around with these yourself unless you like big bills.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 10:24:46 PM »

As far as the MoT is concerned.....

You must have 2 white forward facing position lamps

Any other lamps are not testable, you cannot be failed for having additional orange marker lamps.

Indicators must be orange and flash at 60-120 times per minute but it does not stipulate that they have to be normally on or normally off, so an orange marker lamp that also doubles as a repeater is acceptable. UK spec JKs have repeaters that double as marker lamps and they have full EU type approval.
Pages: [1]   Go Up