Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Trac Loc LSD  (Read 5459 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Trac Loc LSD
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »

Thanks in part to IOM and in a much larger part to Dave Sparky I will shortly be in possession of the necessary parts to regear the Chief to 4.88, however all these new spangdangly parts also come with trac loc lsd, so what I wanna know is what are doods views on the usefulness of them?

JP mag has a major downer on them but then Im not gonna be climbing butter greased vertical incline mountains either so I dunno whether to take their 'pointless' score of trac loc as relevant to me. Im a very casual off roader, for me its as much about the laughs with you idiots.

My original plan was to run a lockrite that I have on the shelf just in the rear. Would it be a better option to run that in the rear and a trac loc in the front? Is that allowed? Or stick with the trac locs? Or just the lockrite?

Cheers doods  :greggmo:

Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

scrw

Re: Trac Loc LSD
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:07:18 AM »

they are okay, its just a plated limited slip diff, they wear out, there are better options, wouldn't put on in a front axle tbh, a load of hassle for not alot of gain

Nosebolt

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »

sounds like the lsd is just another part to wear out and I recon you will find the locrite annoying on road given your liking for faster driving.

if as you say this is a 'play' car i would consider not fitting either locker, but if you feel you must then just fit the locrite to the rear and accept the change in driving feel

Delk

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »

For a general play rig a trac lock in the rear and lockrite in the front work fine. Thats what I had in my jeep many years ago when it was new. It kept the normal street manners as the lockrite is not working on the road but a big help off.

You will not be putting millions of miles on the trac lock and unless you abuse it with one tire in the air and the little petal to the floor for extended periods they will survive without any issues.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »

The Chief is perm 4wd so would i not be better off with trac loc in the front and the lockrite in the rear?

You felt the trac loc did do something tho?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »

I would full-time lock the rear and for the time being leave the front till funds allow for a ARB.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »

Cant ever imagine shelling out that much TBH, no need for my meanderings, and was only thinkin of the TL as it came FOC with the ring & pinion

I think it would seem maybe stick with lockrite in the rear, and save the TL for the CJ's

Im curious tho if doods think they were any good coz JP really slated them, but how 'normal' people use them is prob completely different:

Trac-Lok
Overview: The Trac-Lok is the OEM limited slip differential offered in many vehicles-from early CJs from the mid-'70s up through XJs and some TJs. It uses stacks of friction discs that hold the spider gears from differentiating until enough torque is generated by the shafts to let them spin.
Street:
You'll think you're driving an open diff. The Trac-Lok is largely unnoticeable.

Off-road:
You'll think you're driving an open diff. The Trac-Lok is largely unnoticeable. Unless it's new from the factory, don't expect anything but poor performance off-road from a Trac-Lok.

Good: It probably came in your Jeep from the factory. The unit can be rebuilt at home.

Bad: They require gear oil with a friction modifier and have wearable clutches inside. If you're planning on adding a lunchbox locker, you'll need to order a special application that will work with the clutch disc recess in the case. The recess inside of the case makes it slightly weaker than a standard open diff case. It's difficult to weld into a spool if that's your thing. Basically, they don't work well, so don't waste your money. You're better off with an open diff.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »

sounds like the lsd is just another part to wear out and I recon you will find the locrite annoying on road given your liking for faster driving.

I have considered this but all I keep reading is that ya dont notice one in a FSJ

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:09:54 PM »

if you put anything in the rear other than a LSD you will notice it, full locker means you have to change your driving style as it ALWAYS wants to push you in a straight line no matter where the front wheels are pointing  :icon_winkle:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »

I dont suppose you have had a LSD? Was it any good?

I suppose ultimately it will cost me a bit more to put it in, so shall I bother.

Im still thinkin lockrite in the rear of chief, lsd in the 7. Altho the SOA is so spot on I can cane the Chief round corners etc

As usual its all v confusing  :003:

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »

TJ's have LSD as stock in a 44 rear,open front 30. You dont notice anything and when worn the plates in the LSD dont do anything anyway so its like open

I have one truck stock, tother has detroit softlocker in rear, truetrac in the front but remember TJ's are 2wd on the road

The detroit is interesting on the road shall we say, keeps you awake  :icon_winkle:
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Delk

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »

Having perm 4wd you can get away with a lot more. I am not even sure you would have much of an issue with the lock rite in the rear and trac locks are recommend for the front in street rigs since they are very mild.

I have a Detroit in the rear of my tj now and it is real twitchy on the street. But it is short and 2wd. Your power is split front to rear plus you are long and heavy.

My stock trac lock was replaced after a good amount abuse. The plates wore out and started to fall apart after a three week trip including the Rubicon and several other fun places. It was still driving fine but not locking up any longer.

Delk

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

Remember you can also swap the lock rite in and out and it will only cost you some gear oil. If you don't like it out it comes in an hour.

paulesc

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »

ive read somewhere that you can swap the plates aeound in a trac lok to give it more bite. Dont know if anyone has done this?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »

Leave the LSD on the shelf and jsut put lockrite in the back, the full-time 4x4, auto box and long wheelbase will reduce the scary feel of the locker. Getting out of ruts with the rear always locked can be a PITA at times but for everything else it's great.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

I would full-time lock the rear and for the time being leave the front till funds allow for a ARB.

Listen to the IOM with perm  4 wheel drive you will be in a world of hurt and handling issues and breaking bits unless you go ARB in the front ..... But with a big heavy LWB rig a Detroit in the rear will be little noticed with auto box.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »

cheers gents, regear to 4.88 all booked in for next week, and will be slinging in a lockrite in the rear at the same time

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »

you'll love it! :icon_twisted:
Now just to get the cooling sorted now :icon_twisted:

Howell fuel injection ......should be on the list as well :icon_twisted:

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »

Howell fuel injection ......should be on the list as well :icon_twisted:

Found it, offered it ...... didn't want it ...... at least not at the price the cloggie asked  :icon_winkle:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:19 AM »

did he sell it?

im still to be convinced its worth that sorta cash after the red cj with it failed to impress

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »

The googled article I read was a 401 in a FSJ and they then dynoed it

Gave 20 to 30 more torqs and 20 more donkies

and 5 more mpg......

Also instant start in all weathers and smoother pick up idle and no running rich at altitude......
(dont have that in the fens) :jpshakehead:

Also would climb hills offroad without running dry or over fueling......

$ 1200 for the Howell and ............$oo for what your running or about $500 for Truck Avenger.......

Although hillbilly knowledge say Quadrajet....... but they need good knowledge to set up......

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »

did he sell it?

im still to be convinced its worth that sorta cash after the red cj with it failed to impress

dont think so, would have to look on cloggie jeepforum.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »

Go on then please :003:

That dang wildwood is a bad influence

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »

Sorry  Ade ! Was just researching Project Fantasy during a rainstorm on Sunday :jpshakehead:

Seems way to go as all I got on tuning 401 s for Offroad was a bunch ofwhingeing hillbillies that were over fuelling stumbling non starting running hot and getting single did get mileage figs.....

JP ( well there's a surprise) :icon_twisted: covered this as well.....many moons ago..... Will be in the Wildwood Library that you now have. :icon_super:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »

well I hope you buggers are right coz have given the go ahead today to the axle guy to sling the LSD's front and rear in the new gearing - much to his bewilderment  :017:

and a bit to mine as well if Im honest :003:

the Molotov will just have a lockrite in the rear

i suppose on the plus side I will have 4.10 gearing with new lsd's to ebay
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up