Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Water leaking into passenger footwell  (Read 7994 times)

Stephen

Water leaking into passenger footwell
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »

I have just done a 400 mile journey with water intermittently running into the passenger footwell of my 2007 Grand Cherokee. I thought it was possibly an air con problem but it still happened when I turned the air con off. I wondered if it could be a crack in the windscreen washer bottle, when I was on the motorway in a straight line there wasn't much water but when I went round a right hand bend I could hear the water and see it pouring into the footwell. I have mopped up a litre or more. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Many thanks.

Cockney Boy

Re: Water leaking into passenger footwell
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »

Heater matrix or a hole, can you look up behind the dash and see if the bulkhead has any rusty marks?

robsrotti

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:49 PM »

If the engine is not losing water then you know that is from outside some where, it could be the windscreen seal gone

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »

If the evaporator drain is blocked the heater box will be full of water.

Xj matt

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:48:59 PM »

Obvious question but is this while it is raining or wet on the road or was it dry? Reason I ask is that I am having the same thing happen on my 93 Cherokee ATM. Im 99% sure it's coming from the wheel arch and the fact u say it came in more when u turned could be because the tire is throwing more water into wherever it is leaking. Try taking the carpet out and anything under the dash which may soak up the water then blast a hose or jetwash under the arch and see if it leaks in. That is if you dont already know it's coming from higher up?

donk498

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »

If the evaporator drain is blocked the heater box will be full of water.

:imwitstupid:

Matt yours is probably the windscreen seal leaking. Mk1 xj's seem to like doing that.

Stephen

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. It was dry all day so nothing to do with rain and the engine is not losing water. Where is the evaporator drain?

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 12:42:37 AM »

Stephen

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »

Thanks, I rang the Jeep Garage and they confirmed it is the Air Con drain, they said the pipe has come off or fractured. Anyone had this done at a Jeep Garage?

Xj matt

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »

Cheers dave you beat me to it, after it had stood in our gorgeous summer weather all day I came home to a nice puddle in the footwell therefore eliminating the arch haha. You recJon a new seal will fix that then?

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »

is it not bonded in?

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:23:53 PM »

XJ's & TJ's have bonded in windscreen, had screen replaced on both, outer weather strip dont do jack  :icon_winkle:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

donk498

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »

Cheers dave you beat me to it, after it had stood in our gorgeous summer weather all day I came home to a nice puddle in the footwell therefore eliminating the arch haha. You recJon a new seal will fix that then?

Re-bonding the screen would fix it. I just drilled a hole in the floor to let the water out :lol_hitting:

Cockney Boy

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »

Make the hole big enough Donk and you can always Flintstone the fucker home when it breaks down  :hysterical: :hysterical: Thats for the metal tie rap around my prop lol

Re-bonding the screen would fix it. I just drilled a hole in the floor to let the water out :lol_hitting:

donk498

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »

Well you did leave it unattended in a field while you went back to your hotel, what did you expect? :hysterical:

Stephen

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »

Back to the drawing board, I have now had the air con switched off for the last two days. Yesterday there was a little water which I thought was still in a pipe, today it was pouring down and on the outward journey there was no water but on the return journey the water poured in only when making a right hand turn. When making the right hand turn I could hear the water flowing before it poured into the passenger footwell.

When I originally posted, I didn't consider the problem could be rain as the weather was fine but thinking about it I had washed the car using a hose pipe the previous day. Has anyone any thoughts on what the problem is?

Cockney Boy

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 06:11:03 PM »

Take about 5 litres out your Radiator and then Put a bright food colouring in (blue or green) and see if it gets to the inside. Just make sure you remove your carpets first.

big g

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 06:13:28 PM »

Has it got a sunroof???

Stephen

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I am fairly certain it is not the radiator because the water is cold and I don't have a sunroof.

Cockney Boy

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »

As your not sure of the cause, you have to go through the process of illumination. So why don't you fill a bucket with coloured water and star pouring.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »

does it taste sweet ? and has it had a new screen ?

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Stephen

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »

No, it hasn't had a new screen and doesn't taste sweet. It is mainly used in winter when it was up to -20 at times and in summer it is under cover.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 08:57:48 PM »

I'm not really up to speed with these later models, but does yours have the slotted vents between the rear end of the bonnet and the bottom of the windscreen? My KJ has these, running full width to allow fresh air to enter the ventilating system. At the end of this vent system is a drain hole which usually allows collected water to get away, usually down the back of the front wheel arches..these become blocked very easily.  This might sound silly, but, recently when washing my Jeep, I noticed that the water was building up in this cavity..the air nozzle fixed that before it became a problem. My Nissan Patrol has the same system, but with much larger intake vents, and the amount of crap I cleaned out of there had to be seen to believed.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 11:42:22 PM »

if the air con drain was blocked there will be a build up of fluid in the heater box and relevant tubing so it could take a few journeys for it to find its way out.

Stephen

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »

I have now done the return journey, with the Air Con switched off, with only tiny leaks on right hand bends. Can anyone tell me where the Air Con drain is situated? Many thanks for your help.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up