Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torsen T1 Diff question and Hello.  (Read 2502 times)

chaosmarshall

Torsen T1 Diff question and Hello.
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »

Hi all
I am new here and it always seems we seek out clubs when we need something. I'm obviously no different.
I have been part of a few jeep clubs over the years but all have withered and died so I hope this one can stand the test of time.
Now for my question.
Does anyone know where you can get parts (helical gears) or an entire diff from?
I am currently using a Torsen T1 in a standard AMC20 housing. I believe the diff came from an old Hummer H1. I love the diff and what it has done for me but there is so much wear on the Helical gears that it bangs when it goes into gear and it's only getting worse. I would like to stay with this type of diff if I can and as always these things happen when funds are at there lowest.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: Torsen T1 Diff question and Hello.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »

Salutations Chaos  :greggmo:

More V8 Old Iron  :icon_super:

Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

chaosmarshall

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:38:07 PM »

I didn't want to go too much into the jeep in the first post but I guess because I'm new I should expand.
Over the past few years I decided that AMC didn't do a good enough job when they put the CJ together and I thought I could do better.
I rebuilt the 360. and I have currently got the timing cove off again and am doing some mods to get better oil pressue.
I also thought the body wasn't great (love the look but not the steel quality) so I cut it all off from the firewall back. I have built a new floor frame that will have all removable floor panels for easy access to all the moving parts. I am currently fabricating 2 side panels that will also be removable with over 40 bolts running down each side. A pair of new tubular fenders are also on the fab list for this summer. once I've finished (if I ever do) I will have the jeep I always wanted.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »

sounds like a labour of love mate, just as it should be (& has to be with Old Iron)

tube fenders are on my CJ7 rebuild list :greggmo:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:48:41 AM »

hi and welcome dood

drop torsen gleason an e mail to find outlets but i think if serviceable you will be getting part from the states
they are deff used in the h1 but can not be the same model i would think the h1 uses at the very least dana44 pumkins

jeep clubs that stand the test of time ? well we bin in these here parts a while now

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

chaosmarshall

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »

Thanks for the idea but Gleason told me they stopped making parts for them in the early 90s. It was them that told me they had been in the H1 with special AMC 20 carriers and independent suspension.
I hope I can find one otherwise I might be thinking about an axle swap.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:33 PM »

wow thats interesting i knew the h1  was amg but that is interesting and not least to say the irony of the fact that the bad mouthed amc 20 lived on in such a way

in that case there is a dutch firm that sells h1s and parts i forget there name but think they advertise in classic military vehicle and poss milweb   

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

chaosmarshall

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:20:19 PM »

That's just the kind of info I was looking for.
Many thanks and let's hope I can get hold of them.

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 11:23:55 PM »

You would be able to get some new gears cut but unless they are a standard size (which is unlikely) it would be big money.

Couldnt you ditch the Torsen and buy a carrier for the axle you have (assuming it has a standard ring and pinion).
You may end up facing the wrong way at roundabouts though  :003:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

chaosmarshall

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »

I had thought about getting some cut but I have no idea where to go.
In my spares boxes I found a standard open diff, swapped over the ring gear and that is in there for the time being.
I love what my torsen drove like. off road it was great. A touch of park brake and it acted like it was totally locked. on a track it made a controlled 4 wheeled drift a pleasure. all this and it felt like an open diff on road.
There may be better diffs out there but I fell in love with this one.

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:52 AM »

If you have a local engineering shop they should know someone who will be able to do them. :icon_winkle:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...
Pages: [1]   Go Up