Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bump stop extensions on TJ  (Read 1749 times)

Rocky4wd

Bump stop extensions on TJ
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »

When I lifted the TJ 2" I got extensions for the bump stops - approx 1&1/2"

Then I changed to a 2&1/2" kit that didn't come with the bump stops & looking to pass on the spring spacers but been trying to find bump stop extensions to go with them but only ones I can find are in USA for about £15

I've seen hockey pucks suggested - I think bolted to the bottom end?

I also have these which are the same 1&1/2" but they are poly bushes not quite same diameter as the extensions but could they possibly be used?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

jerry

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
Re: Bump stop extensions on TJ
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »

Have you changed the shocks? What is it your trying to avoid (axle close to engine)? What is the stuff clearance on the shocks?
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Rocky4wd

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »

It would be for someone fitting 2" Budget lift with spacers then fitting larger tyres - the extensions on the bump stops to avoid the wheel hitting inside of wheel arch etc. if that makes sense?

I've got them on mine but looking at how to fit some on another vehicle which is currently standard but will be lifted with the spring spacers that have now come off mine.

jerry

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »

ice hockey pucks

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:31:53 AM »

Ice hockey pucks are easy to fit and cheap and can be glued into place if you clean everything up well before hand (I used Araldite type stuff). How much bump stop is needed related to tyre size and not just lift so depends on what the purchaser is planning to put on their vehicle

philthy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:25:59 AM »

hi folks,

its me thats planning buying the lift! Im running 31's on stock suspension and hoped the 2" budget boost would make it look a wee bit better! we are looking for an alternative way of extending the bump stops as you cannot seem to buy the spacers in uk - would pucks be hard enough? has anyone glued two 1" pucks together and then drilled a 10mm hole through them?

Im going to see how much 2" alumin spacers would cost me from a local fabricator???

thanks for replies so far!

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »

I've done 3 stacked and drilled. They are easy to drill and work with and plenty hard enough - too hard for cushioning in my opinion, definitely enough to restrict movement for your purpose. I find trial and error the best method to work out how much but 2 pucks each side would seem about right for you.

philthy

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »

did you drill right through coil spring seat and bolt right through or simply glue them in place?

keep thinking i am better with actual spacers to extend the bump stops instead of this method but i guess its cos its new to me!

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »

I originally drilled through it all and bolted them in place but have gone bigger and added more since then so moved to glued in ones for convenience.

I don't know the physics but apparently (from the internet experts) it's better to have the bumpstop balanced between top and bottom.

philthy

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »

so 1" as a spacer above the actual bum stop and the other drilled and bolted to coil spring seat could be an idea to make up the 2"

Carlos Fandango

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »

If you purchase a 2" spacer lift kit dont they come with extended bump stops anyway?

If so I have 4 kicking about somewhere new and un used

Rocky4wd

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 07:28:31 PM »

If you purchase a 2" spacer lift kit dont they come with extended bump stops anyway?

If so I have 4 kicking about somewhere new and un used
Thanks, but think we're sorted now - if not will come back to you. Cheers.

jerry

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »

this is true, a decent lift kit will come with springs, bump stops, track bar bracket, maybe shocks, extended drop links for rear roll bar, brackets for brake lines etc
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

philthy

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up