Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ info  (Read 2848 times)

craigderby

WJ info
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:29 PM »

I'm after a bit of advice.  We're looking at getting a bigger tin tent later this year, so are also thinking of changing one of the cars.

Are WJs any good, I've never had any personal experience of them, and which is the better engine the 3.1 or the 2.7?  Of course I know the real answer is the 4.7 , but I'll never convince the wife on that one.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: WJ info
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »

Jumping ahead of the anoraks here but I'd say WJ 4.0 (possibly with gas).

3.1 tractor engine is a big no no.  2.7, hard to find a good one after all these years unless you like spending serious money in maintenance.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »

:imwitstupid:

4.0l with lpg

I have a 4.7 on lpg, its good in a country bumkin kinda way, still drinks the lpg though
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »

:imwitstupid:

I have a 4.7 on lpg, its good in a country bumkin kinda way, still drinks the lpg though

Oh yes, but it does have some puff though...
"Not all those who wander are lost"

jay140285

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

Well we tow a big swift conqueror twin axle off WJ 4.7V8 and average 26mpg (on LPG) which is bloody good.

Engine doesnt have to do any real work, will tow at 65 all day long on little revs, has loads of over taking grunt which can catch you out when you boot it to over take a lorry etc and hit 80 lol. 

It has towed all over uk and france and been great, even when it threw a sensor in france and went into limp home mode on the gear box it pulled away with caravan whilst tuck in 3rd gear and still towed at 60. What other tow car can do that.

STUARTF

• Guru
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:31:44 AM »

Ive recently got the 4.0 WJ Happy with it and it performed well in the white stuff recently. Can still tow a hefty lump with confidence. Not the most economical but with gas fitted its an all round bargain.  Blues
Stuart

craigderby

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »

Thanks for the replies so far.
Are there any diesel owners out there? It's for the other half aswell as the caravan, and she doesn't tend to go near any LPG stations, so really needs to be an oil burner

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »

Craig,

I just PX'ed my 2.7 CRD after 6 years ownership for a WK 3.0 CRD

Absolutely loved the truck when the going was good, less so after parting with serious amounts of cash
to keep it on the road.

Do yourself a favour, don't buy a 2.7 WJ CRD.

If you're adament, then fork out some more cash and go for a WK.

(yeah, yeah ...... I know I sound like I've just stopped smoking  :011:)

Edit : maybe a KJ 2.8 CRD is the one to go for  :icon_winkle:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

craigderby

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »

Thanks Dutch, that's the sort of feedback I was expecting I might get.

The KJ idea is good, but we've already got one. That's what we're looking to change

jay140285

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »

How many mile does the wife do? Can you not take it once a week or when suits to LPG it up?

You can potentially have massive bills with the 2.7CRD, these potential bills can be eye watering.

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »

Why dont you buy the mrs a Micra and then buy a petrol WJ  for weekends and towing. Thats what ive done but not the Micra thingy.
Stuart

craigderby

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:01:42 AM »

Potentially we'd end up with 4 cars then though, as we already run the XJ as a 3rd car. I think we'll probably end up looking at other makes, and probably go Jap  :icon_redface:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »

Depends on budget but have a look at WK CRDs

thorna

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 09:27:24 AM »

Look at total cost of ownership; I had my wj 4.7 for 2.5yrs, during that time it cost £450 to maintain and service and depreciated by £1500. Factor in the lower initial purchase price when compared with the CRD and you've got a few k to spend on fuel and a 265hp motor to play with. All good but after a while you do forget that and the regular trips to the filling station are a pain.

If your fixed on diesel go wk or dare I say another brand.

Wildfire

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »

Geez Guys!

You lot are looking on the 'dark side'

I've owned a 2.5 TD ZJ with 185K on the clock which was traded in for my 2.7 CRD WJ in 2005  - my WJ currently has covered 150K miles - some simple maintenance and you have a stonking workhorse for decent money - my WJ tows a 7m Hobby Caravan (no I'm not a Gypo!) - a Ski Boat and a 1 1/2 ton trailer every weekend all round Scotland - average mpg is about 25 - not too shabby!

The Merc 2.7 lump has attracted bad press from all quarters - but it really wants you to check on it every once in a while :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

My maintenance regime is oil and filters every 10-12K miles - generally works out every 6 months, obviously they are just done priot to MOT time - helps keep the emissions in line!

I am on my second set of BFG AT tyres - they are good for 65K miles if rotated regularly, the original Wranglers were abysmal and were dumped about 12K due to lack of grip in anything but the dryest of days - no bloody good for the West coast of Scotland :003: :003:

My ZJ used to eat rear diff bearings at 50K, but I've had the WJ bearings changed at 60K and the are still Ok - a possible bartering point for you when buying one!

The only real 'non wear & tear' item I've changed has been the gear selector which died last year.

In summary - keep on top of the fluid changes - Engine - Diff - and Auto Gearbox (100K) - ensure all tyres are similar wear levels (all 4x4 transfer boxes can suffer with different size tyres fitted)
the 2.7CRD has been smitten by 'black death' where an injector has leaked at the copper seal and deposited combustion products around the injector - if left for a while it can resemble the appearance of tar and harden - all the more reason to check the engine regularly get to know where the bits and bobs are :017:
The fuel line connectors are incredibly fiddly and I have replaced two filter lines cos I bust mine - but they tend to 'work harden' and can break off on you - I recommend changing any suspect lines as air in the fuel is not your friend :010: :010:

I've been using my WJ to tow a Series III to off roading events so I've had to equip it with suitable tyres for these events along with a 'wee lift'

in Short! 2.7CRD WJ - AWESOME  :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

thorna

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »

Wildfire you've had the luxury of owning your wj from nearly new so have maintained it right from the start.
Bad press I think comes from 10yr old ones that have had multiple owners and never had the maintenance they deserved.
Merc engine is good, wj is good both can last.
 I have a colleague in the US who had a 4.7 limited for 10years from new, did 350k with no major part replacements and sold it for 5k

ivanidea

• Expat - Livin' the dream...
  • Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler JL - 2dr Willys
  • Year: 2021
  • Florida
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »

Have a word with Ted.  He's owned his from new and it has full service history.  It's 10 years old and has done 80k, and still drives great.

If I didn't already have 2 Jeeps, I would be very tempted with one for some luxurious motoring.
Current Jeep: 2021 Willys 2dr 3.6 Auto. Sarge Green + Tan Top.
Former Jeep (USA): 2016 Renegade 2.4L 75th Anniversary 4WD Auto.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up