Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Project scrambler begins.......  (Read 10324 times)

tris

Project scrambler begins.......
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »

Had a couple of hours on the 8 today, main aim is to chase & cut out the dreaded rust before it spreads even more & then I can see what fab work is required.
 Started the cutting out & front end has started to come off. Surprisingly easy! Bulkhead is in good nick luckily.
Plan is going to be remove the tub! Taking off what I can at the moment as a new shed is being built this summer for it so cab etc staying on for now until its inside.

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
Re: Project scrambler begins.......
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »

Do you want to buy some press braked sides to go with those floors?
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

tris

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »

Your gonna tell me you've got a pair of them aswel aren't you Dave!! :003:

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

Looks like you need them! they are just some mild steel i had bent up to copy the old ones, but be warned there will be a lot of welding and sanding involved. :jpshakehead:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

tris

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »

There's gonna be alot of welding whichever route I take!! Send me a pic so I know what I'm looking at?

xr6jeeper

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »

Those pics bring back memories :jpshakehead: if you get some new sill panels made(folded) see if you can find a local fabrication company that have a joggle wheel, itll keep the repair from distorting too much when you weld it.

tris

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:04:51 PM »

There's gonna be some strengthening braces in there too. There's already 5mm gap of daylight between sides & floor in places.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »

cool thread :greggmo:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

j33pky

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »

Yea if you like rotton cars

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »

I hear the Whicker Man likes Rattan Cars
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

tris

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:45:13 PM »

Yep, I agree, it rotten ish, I've worked on worse. Once the Shit is cut out I'll know where to start. Chassis is rot free luckily.
Fuel tank out tonight & yep, hole in the bottom, must have cost you a fortune to run BD :icon_eek:

big g

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »

Fuel tank out tonight & yep, hole in the bottom, must have cost you a fortune to run BD :icon_eek:

:lol_hitting:

The irony. :hysterical:

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »

My chassis had rotted on most of the body mounts under the pucks and a little bit in the chassis where the cj7 rear cross member would be. there is a photo somewhere ill see if i can find it as it may be worth a tap with the hammer.

And no i don't have any replacement chassis parts :003:

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »

Here ya go, it was just in front of the cross member where the chassis returns back down and must be a kind of water trap.

tris

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:25 PM »

Ill check it out, cheers bud

xr6jeeper

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 12:05:19 PM »

There's gonna be some strengthening braces in there too. There's already 5mm gap of daylight between sides & floor in places.
Yeah i know where your coming from, the only good bits on mine were the bulkhead, the front cowl and the rear passenger floor section, everything else was a complete clusterf@ck.
I had to replace,
rear wing quarters, a large section of both rear wings,rear wheel tubs, front and rear floors (both sides), all 4 chassis riggers, the step section that goes across the chassis behind the seats, both front boxes (body mounts), 2 new front wings, windscreen surround,and loads of other bits i cant remember :jpshakehead: a few pics :003:

tris

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »

Yep, I'm gonna be pretty much in the same situation as you mate in the next couple of months! Not bothered though, it's a long term thing for me so want it done right.
CJ8's in the UK are only going to go up in value, (I hope)  :icon_eek:

xr6jeeper

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:37 PM »

Yep, I'm gonna be pretty much in the same situation as you mate in the next couple of months! Not bothered though, it's a long term thing for me so want it done right.
CJ8's in the UK are only going to go up in value, (I hope)  :icon_eek:
Agreed :icon_winkle: mint trucks are gonna fetch premium prices in the years to come :greggmo:

Jeepjedi

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »

:icon_eek: you have done more work on that truck than BD has done to all his in the last 4 years  :icon_super: respect

tris

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »

Cheers Jedi, can only do a few hours here & there at the moment as its outside under tarp so can't really take cab etc off yet with this crap weather, but when my new shed will be built in a few months, that's when the tub can come off & go on a spit frame for the fab work to start. I'm really looking forward to it, it's been a childhood dream owning an 8 so I'm happy as a pig in shit!!  :jump_125:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »

Just keep up the momentum there are not enoughh 8s left

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

tris

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »

It would be interesting to know how many 8's there are in the UK?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »

Just keep up the momentum there are not enoughh 8s left

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »

I had them all tagged a while ago I found 9 but now I am not sure cos one of mine was smashed up another 2 were scrapped and at least 1 has gone to euroland

And you never know what is freshly imported or been lurking in a shed for years

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »

Side bits...

and where they go....

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up