Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O2 sensor elecktrickery  (Read 2948 times)

Nosebolt

O2 sensor elecktrickery
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:30:24 AM »

I've had this very intermittent running fault with the ZJ tbh its been fine for ages but still have it in the back of my mind when need to do a longish trip, thats why I got the bluetooth realtime OBD2, taking Dan to collage this morning it happened again and was able to see what happened, top O2 sensor went to 1.3v and the one in the cat went to zero volts, after I searched for fault codes but none registered, prior to this trip the last code that registered was an over voltage/short on the top sensor.

My question is which one is at fault? or should I just bit the bullet and change both?

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
Re: O2 sensor elecktrickery
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »

Do both & get them from Roackauto  :icon_winkle:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Nosebolt

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »

good call, just ordered them both, £66 and due here Friday, (expect there will be duty to pay as well)

have also decided to change the cat as I fitted a cheap Chinese cat last time and have been told by several sources that the current cat wont be helping.

ChrisS

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »

Not on a Jeep, but used to have a very intermittant fault on a car with the lambda function. Very long story short, it was a broken (not blown) fuse that fed the lambda heater - would make & break at random so made finding it tricky. The only obvious symptom was that under certain and rare conditions, it would throw a MIL and a lambda out of range code. A less obvious symptom was the fuel consumption was usually worse than it should have been and every MOT was a bloody lottery to see what CO figures it would spit out.

Probes don't often get on/off faults, they tend to gradually poison and fail. I'll take a punt and say it might be more likely to be a wiring issue to the top lambda that's to blame, either signal or heater. If it's already had an aftermarket replacement, could easily be down to a less than tidy wiring job as they often come with loose wire tails, not the OEM connector, and some folk aren't good with wires.

Keen to see what you find either way. Always happy to be wrong!

Nosebolt

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »

thanks for the info, a good pointer, will check the feed/fuse when fitting, and if successful we may even make Turkey Hunt  :003:

Nosebolt

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »

Lambda sensors arrived and fitted today, noticeable improvement in power and seems like economy is better (as far as I can tell on a short run by the onboard computer)

will give full test next Wednesday when we visit the MIL, 200 miles each way, should prove one way or another

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »

Fingers crossed Bruce  :icon_winkle:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Nosebolt

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »

just back from a few days up in Louth, full on surveying an old church spire so sorry Jedi didn't get time for that tea,

but good news ZJ was faultless and before we went the average MPG and was showing 15.5 US mpg (18.6 UK mpg) and averaged over the 500 mile round trip that was a mix of 40% motorway and 60% A/B roads we got 20.5 US mpg (24.6 UK mpg) so very happy  :003:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »

Nice one

Mike2909

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

just back from a few days up in Louth, full on surveying an old church spire so sorry Jedi didn't get time for that tea,

but good news ZJ was faultless and before we went the average MPG and was showing 15.5 US mpg (18.6 UK mpg) and averaged over the 500 mile round trip that was a mix of 40% motorway and 60% A/B roads we got 20.5 US mpg (24.6 UK mpg) so very happy  :003:

Which sensors did you buy from Rockauto, did you get the Bosch ones?

Nosebolt

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »

yep both were Bosch, can dig out the boxes for part numbers if needed

Mike2909

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 08:29:28 PM »

yep both were Bosch, can dig out the boxes for part numbers if needed
Would appreciate that if possible. Did they have the connectors on or did you have to splice and dice?

Nosebolt

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »

BOSCH 13138 Oxygen Sensor (9027.10.9010) £ 17.74

BOSCH 13399 Oxygen Sensor (9027.10.9010) £ 16.51

and they both come with correct length wires and plugs
Pages: [1]   Go Up