Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep Cherokee kj  (Read 4416 times)

Carlos Fandango

Jeep Cherokee kj
« on: October 25, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »

The wife has informed me that our Cherokee 2005 2.8crd has developed an issue where intermittently the rev counter and speedo jump up and down with the engine management light flickering on / off
Apparently today it cut out aswell
Any ideas ?

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
Re: Jeep Cherokee kj
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »

If that is happening at an idle (at the traffic lights maybe) I'd take a stab and suggest the TPS..but I hasten to add that it's just a guess.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

Shitty connecter at the rear (easy "KY") dash area? Does a sharp bang with your fist ( I said easy "KY") on top of the dash cure it?
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Obarno

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »

Our Chrokee 2.8CRD had a similar fault. When you went over a bump all the engine dash lights flicked and the engine momentarily cut, and after about 3 times the engine stopped! I found a wire by the air cleaner, that came out of a multi plug on the side of the engine bay, that had rubbed against the air cleaner and removed the insulation. This then corroded with damp and eventually broke. I cut out the bad bit, soldered the ends together and put some heat shrink over it - problem solved!

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:24:07 PM »

Such fun things, these Jeeps!!

Carlos Fandango

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »

Had the instrument cluster out today checked the connection, wiggled and shook it, bashed it ..... to no effect  :011:
Fault still there .........

Definitely electrical as when driving and the engine management lights flickers on there is no change in engine performance.
Sometimes the fuel gauge shows empty and / or the fuel light comes on too.
The fault will show when stationary or driving ......... does seem to cut out when cold occasionally, not sure if its linked but its never done it before now   :017:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »

ECU connectors may be

Carlos Fandango

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »

ECU connectors may be

Yes, sorry forgot to say ....disconnected the battery un plugged both connectors on ECU and reconnected.

Searching the internet, apparently there is a common problem with the wiring from the rear ABS  / speed sensor or the sensor itself causing the Speedo not to work or work erratically ............ no mention of all the other problems I am suffering with, tacho not working, engine management light, fuel gauge etc but might be worth a shot  :steeringwheel:

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »

That is a posibility..unplug the ABS connection on top of the rear diff, check and zap with WD40 and see what effect that has..costs nothing to try and it just might work!

Carlos Fandango

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »

Tried another abs / speed sensor and no difference  :011:
The wiring from the sensor looks ok but will investigate more next weekend
Also the cutting out has to be related as it has never done that before, but it doesn't necessarily happen when the speedo etc is playing up.
I drove it this evening for around 15 miles it cut out three times with out warning but started again right away, it cut out once while stationary at a junction the other twice as I was pulling off from a junction.
What would cause a diesel to cut out ??

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »

Phil,

You may remember that once the wife's 2.5 failed to start at all in front of my door.  Thought it was battery - not so.

Wifey did notice some 'hick-ups' prior to that.  Luckily it died, when it did, in front of my door.

Got recovered to the dealer and they found a severed cable - invisible to the eye - running to or from fuel pump/ecu/management thinghy. IIRC it was running under the airbox.

I would say if a diesel stops it is fuel (fuel pump) related. No juice - no go !

Little help I know but hope you solve it soon before you take a can of petrol and match to it.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

bluevanman

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:23:13 PM »

different motor I know but I once had a cavalier to work on doing similar on the dash and it turned out to be a dodgy earth about 4 of them on the one bolt earthing between each other and not down to the body again mebbe wrong but its free to check

Carlos Fandango

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

Tried a new cps to no avail  :017:

Trawled the internet for inspiration, random flashing lights on the dash seems quite a common problem.
Unfortunately with no direct answer except on one occasion where the alternator wasn't charging, so I checked the battery condition by swapping it with a new one off my XJ and checking the alternator was charging .... all ok there.

Had a mess with the pdc in the front checked the relays all seems fine

I had read on another forum in the US that is a module down on the left front chassis just below the headlight probably worth a disconnect / reconnect, so while I had the pdc out had a quick squint and I found the air con pipes had rubbed through the insulation on several wires shorting them out together intermitantly

Temporary fix of some polystyrene in between and hey presto all is good
Will repair correctly at the weekend  :greggmo:

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 07:43:05 PM »

Thats what I said  :003:

Good to hear you found it Phil  :icon_winkle:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200