Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering Wheel Adjustment  (Read 1519 times)

Mike2909

Steering Wheel Adjustment
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »

I know it is Saturday night but I am hoping someone can advise. :icon_jook:
My first day off road with the Wrangler today. Before I left home I decided to straighten the steering wheel.The PO told me the steering wheel was on squint , driving home after picking the Wrangler up it annoyed me but I waited until today to straighten it up.
I adjusted the drag link to straighten it but now have next to no right hand down lock.
Will I have to take off the pitman arm to get it straight? If I do this what other problems am I letting myself in for?

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
Re: Steering Wheel Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:37:26 PM »

take it back around the other way, leave pitman arm alone for minute
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Mike2909

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »

Turned it back again and the steering wheel is on almost upside down. I realise it is only a minor fault but it is fookin annoying  :banghead:
I took off the airbag and found that one of the POs has been trying to remove the steering wheel. Where the puller bolts go in both holes are stripped of thread.
Any ideas  :017:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »

Be careful which way you go, you could wreck the clockspring.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:17:09 PM »

Turned it back again and the steering wheel is on almost upside down.

keep turning it further - count how many turns there are lock to lock - you then set it in the middle.

From what you have said you only have just over half a turn one way with the wheel upside down, so take it another half.

If it is centred and wheel is on upside down then disconnect shaft and turn 180 - but as said above don't let wheel spin or you will need a new clockspring
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Mike2909

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »

keep turning it further - count how many turns there are lock to lock - you then set it in the middle.

From what you have said you only have just over half a turn one way with the wheel upside down, so take it another half.

If it is centred and wheel is on upside down then disconnect shaft and turn 180 - but as said above don't let wheel spin or you will need a new clockspring
If I turn further the other way it stops before the wheel is centred.
Which shaft do you mean to disconnect?

Mike2909

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »

Tried this again today and have the steering wheel centred and it is on almost upside down say 10 to 3. Which shaft is it I can disconnect??
Pages: [1]   Go Up