Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep WK 3.0CRD  (Read 4664 times)

jay140285

Jeep WK 3.0CRD
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »

Guys,

I have seen a WK 3.0CRD for sale, Low miles 60ish 2005 car, cheap but description states it smokes when at idle for a while, but clears when in motion?

Any thoughts that jump out what it could be?

I know that isnt much to go on but its all I have.

Cheers

James

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: Jeep WJ 3.0CRD
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »

Guys,

I have seen a WK 3.0CRD for sale, Low miles 60ish 2005 car, cheap but description states it smokes when at idle for a while, but clears when in motion?

Cheers

James

Jay,

3 things before jumping in a WK deal :

- Ball joints (a biatch to replace as James H can testify)
- Swirl motor (motor replacement & turbo intake hose upgrade)
- Your smoke could be related to an EGR valve 'coke'up.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

jay140285

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »

Guys,

Cheers

James

Jay,

3 things before jumping in a WK deal :

- Ball joints (a biatch to replace as James H can testify)
- Swirl motor (motor replacement & turbo intake hose upgrade)
- Your smoke could be related to an EGR valve 'coke'up.

Cheers Dutch,

Ball Joints - Bubba
Swirl Motor I have heard about, is there a "fix" like Gaz's Panza?
EGR valve, is that common, bearing in mind its got low miles so probably not been driven hard hense coking up?

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »

EGR valve, is that common, bearing in mind its got low miles so probably not been driven hard hense coking up?

My take :

- Swirl motor I'm not going to touch. Been doing nothing other than reading up on 't forums and it is a biatch of a job and I haven't got any inside facilities or tools to do this.

- EGR - your assumption might be correct. 60K in 8/9 years = 6/7K/year.  That's not much for a diesel and could have been used on the school/Tesco run only.

jay140285

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »

My take :

- Swirl motor I'm not going to touch. Been doing nothing other than reading up on 't forums and it is a biatch of a job and I haven't got any inside facilities or tools to do this.

- EGR - your assumption might be correct. 60K in 8/9 years = 6/7K/year.  That's not much for a diesel and could have been used on the school/Tesco run only.

Swirl Motor - Ok another one for Bubba if needed.

EGR - The car has been in London all its life with both owners, so stands a chance.

Sent a couple of questions off about it.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »

Could be coke'd up. Could be it will need EGR valve or something else replacing. I'd put at least £500 aside if buying a WK because they have so many modules and electrickery stuff that can just go.

Ball joints - Bubba will swear at you, Swirl Motor - needs dealer electrickery to programme I believe.

If you get a tune the swirl motor can be turned off / bypassed. There is a redneck fix involving taping a resistor in the connector but it's not something I'd do.

I had a bit of smoke when my air flow meter was crapping out - cost £300 to replace. Not bad if you're getting the Jeep cheap.

mad mechanic

Re: Jeep WK 3.0CRD
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:20:47 PM »

ball joints aint too bad if you have the right tool...lol
swirl motor is a fiddly but not real bad job and once its done its done, change the intake gasket on the turbo at the same time. its oil misting that kills the swirl motor. couple of bent bits of welding wire to assist in putting the rods on is all it needs.
egr will need taking off and cleaning. again not too bad if you soak it in plus gas before hand and do it with the engine slightly warm.
work for a jeep dealer so done quite a few of em tbh. make sure the back axle aint whining...thats the biggest hassle with em

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »

Interesting, I thought the rear axles had improved slightly since older Jeep but apparently not. Any other things to look out for?

I had a problem getting the lower strut bolt out when replacing the lower arms, that's where the ball joint comments come from.

I've also been a bit concerned about changing the gearbox fluid as I hate the 'sealed for life' idea. Do you change the fluids at the garage and have you seen problems on the gearboxes potentially form the oil not being changed?

jay140285

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »

Dutch / James H what miles have your WK's done?

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »

Dutch / James H what miles have your WK's done?

jay140285

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »

Cool, with our budget they have anything from 70k up to 100k on them so no issues with this mileage then.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »

Bought at 71k, now at 118k

mad mechanic

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 10:25:51 PM »

Interesting, I thought the rear axles had improved slightly since older Jeep but apparently not. Any other things to look out for?

I had a problem getting the lower strut bolt out when replacing the lower arms, that's where the ball joint comments come from.

I've also been a bit concerned about changing the gearbox fluid as I hate the 'sealed for life' idea. Do you change the fluids at the garage and have you seen problems on the gearboxes potentially form the oil not being changed?
the axles have improved but as most people buy them to tow with, if its got a tow bar fitted be wary if not then all should be ok....sealed for life box? gear oil change is a bit of a pain fill up depends what you have done to it, this disctates how much oil to put back in , then warm the engine up and read the oil temp in the box, using the graph from dealer connect you then dip the oil sew how far up the special tool it comes and then read against temp...sounds more complicated than it is..hardest being getting the accurate gearbox temp. not really had any issues with the box, just transfer motor issues  tbf. what i would say id make sure you change the axle oils when they should be..got one today not had a change for over 50 k and the diff actuators have gummed up badly, only 30 quid each but still avoidable if maintained properly. we get grands coming in with over 100k with no major probs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up