Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seat Belt  (Read 2238 times)

Mike2909

Seat Belt
« on: January 19, 2014, 08:31:14 PM »

I have had problems with the roll out and roll back mechanism of the drivers seat belt since buying the TJ. I have squirted it full of WD40 a few times and it has worked better but it still sounds as if the mechanism is full of sand.
Is it worth it and is it safe to take the mechanism apart. On the side there is a blue cap saying do not remove so I prefer asking first.
The belt sometimes blocks when in position , other times it just will not come out for a few minutes.

donk498

Re: Seat Belt
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:40:55 PM »

Everyone i've taken apart ends up with the clock spring falling out so I wouldn't bother if I were you, just replace it. May have one that will fit if you want.

Mike2909

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »

Everyone i've taken apart ends up with the clock spring falling out so I wouldn't bother if I were you, just replace it. May have one that will fit if you want.
Fair enough, if the one you have fits and works I will have it.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »

not worth the risk of a face full of spring let alone trying to put it back together again
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Plank

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »

I'd be more concerned about a face full of windscreen if done incorrectly.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »

I have had the same problem for 6 years..I've learnt to live with it.

Plank

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »

I have had the same problem for 6 years..I've learnt to live with it.
Wouldn't pass the MOT over here though would it.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 07:48:33 PM »

What?..just because it won't retract when I get out of the car! I know you guys live in a nanny state, but that's totally stupid!!

Can't help but wonder how many people in the UK were killed or injured when they got out of the car and locked the doors behind them and the seatbelt didn't roll back.

Mike2909

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »

What?..just because it won't retract when I get out of the car! I know you guys live in a nanny state, but that's totally stupid!!

Can't help but wonder how many people in the UK were killed or injured when they got out of the car and locked the doors behind them and the seatbelt didn't roll back.

Maybe I explained the workings incorrectly.It retracts but sometimes blocks when I am wearing it so I can not get it off. Other times it blocks and I can not get it on.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »

Fair enough..mine will do that if I try to move it too quickly. If I have to grab something from the glovebox in a hurry and make a sudden move in that direction, it locks up. But I suspect that it's supposed to do that..very fast reflex action! Sometimes when I get in and go to put the belt on, if I move too quickly, the same thing happens..I just relax it a bit and try again, a little slower and all is good.

My Pug 406 was exactly the same and it never failed a UK MOT..ever!! In the 10 years I owned it, the seatbelt NEVER rolled back on its own.

Mike2909

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »

I understand all that, I am just don't want to be stuck in the seat belt when I need to get out (quickly).

Plank

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 10:14:47 AM »

I wouldn't take the chance with what is essentially a life safety device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up