Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie With a technical question.  (Read 5834 times)

PeteW

Newbie With a technical question.
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:11 PM »

Hi all, Sorry to ask such a newbie question but can anyone tell me if all xj rear axles are interchangeable. I own a 98 4.0 auto limited, which has a totaly trashed dana 35 rear axle, and i have been offered a good axle from a 96 4.0 for free but the guy does not know what type it is. dont want to do a 400 mile round trip to colect it if i wont fit, would really appreciate any help

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:35:50 PM »

hi welcome to birtys. the axles from a 4.0l Cherry's will fit each other i think. it is just that some have an LSD and some dont but they will still work. i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong. 8-)

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »

Yep, lard is right. Just make sure it's from another 4 litre, as the 2.5 petrol and diesel have different rear axles. You will have the added benefit of an LSD too  8-)
Might be worth asking the seller if the LSD is definitely OK.

PeteW

Thanx
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:22:47 PM »

Thanks for such a quick response guys, I wasnt expecting a reply so soon I must be used to Lotus forums, Plastic car owners are not so freindly, Will be picking up my fre axle this weekend. Cheers

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »

good news mate and welcome

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »

Change the oil in the new axle and add the LSD additive (£5 from Jeep dealer), other than that it should be fine. There maybe some slight difference in length of handbrake cables but the fittings are the same (or just keep your existing brakes and swap the 'middle')

PeteW

Rear axle
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »

Glad you metioned brakes , This axle has no brakes on it will mine fit if for arguments sake its a dana44 or chrysler 8.25 as all my brake parts are on a dana 33.

frosty

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »

make sure you check the ratios are the same,afriend of mine bought a xj and found it would not drive in 4wd. on inspection i found it had diferant ratio axles fitted, as mentioned be somone else the ratios are differant on diesles, 2.5 and 4.0 petrols. also check that the axle you have been offered has abs rings on the drive shafts, as i dont think the early sport models have abs.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 05:32:29 PM »

the 2.5ltr has the 8.25 which has different gear ratio's which will not work with the std 4ltr front axle. the 2.5ltr has an obvious flat on the base of the diff where as the 4ltr one doesn't.

have a look here

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Sus ... Ratios.htm
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »

If it has come from a 96 4.0 then it should be a Dana 35 with LSD and ABS. Your 98 4.0 will have the same but no LSD.

The earlier ones with LSDs have more wear issues than the later ones due to the wear of the LSD clutch plates leading to contamination of the diff oil. This is why I suggest changing the oil when you get it - it also gives you a chance to look inside for obvious wear. With a LSD the additive from Jeep is vital too.

Brakes will be the same and swap over no problem - keep your brakelines and handbrake cables cos undoing them can be tricky and makes more work for you.

You'll be able to tell if it's a Chrysler 8.25 axle cos your u-bolts won't fit around it, it weighs a lot more, has no ABS and has a flat 'lip' along the bottom of the diff housing.

If it's a Dana 44 for an XJ, sell it to me for a pork pie and a packet of Jaffa cakes  :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up