Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: spotlights not working  (Read 9458 times)

brendjill

spotlights not working
« on: January 24, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »

just got my first jeep and I'm over the moon with it! It has 2 spotlights on the front and they are not working. I had one working and it would appear they work off the high beam circuit but now niether of them are working. The dealer I got the jeep from said they'd put it right but I am an impatient hit and want to see if I can get them working! Any ideas ?

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »

In the absense of any loose wiring, check the relay, similar problem on or TJ recently  :wink:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »

this is why I love nw hobbies, you learn loads. How do I check if the relays are okay?  

Where do you live mate, you've been a gent and answered all my questions so far I reckon I owe you a beer!

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »

it all depends on how they wired them in, the lazy way is to take a feed off the high beam circuit  ( no relay bad idea) and the proper way is to use a relay.

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/500 ... lights.jpg

heres a basic diagram of how they should/could be wired!

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »

I think they've been wired off the high beams as there is no independent switch for them. I don't know any more!

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »

where do you live? then if you look under the bonnet,you should be able to find a relay and the wiring mounted somewhere under there
 if you can't immediatley see it, look at the back of the headlamp and you will find an additional wired spliced onto the wiring , following it back should lead you to the relay.! then check every thing there is in place!

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »

thanks for that - I've checked and had a fiddle with the relay. I got the left light working again but still no right light. There was a bit of corrosion on the metal and I cleaned it as best I could, will that make a difference or do you reckon the relay is knacked ?

I'm in Horsham, West Sussex !!

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »

nope probably the wire to the other light is loose or corroded/broken, you will need to trace it across the front of the jeep to the other headlamp.
mind you it could just be the bulb gone!
if the one lamp works it means the relay is ok

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 08:09:30 PM »

the wires seem to go behind a plate covering the back of the light! I'll check more tomorrow when I can see better!

Thanks for your help

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »

not a problem and the plate is probably the bulb cover fitted to the back of the lamp

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 10:34:43 PM »

yeah,  goes behind the bulb cover and out the front along the grill ( can see the wires have a plastic tubing covering them) I think I'll leave it to the garage and drive around winking at everyone for a while

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:20:50 AM »

Can you change the bulbs in the spots like an ordinary light? How do I get the thing open

joelypops

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »

there will be a screw or two around the face edge somewhere, pull them out and the front and glass should pull off then just change the bulbs!  they *probably* wont be the same as normal headlight bulbs though so you will have to find ones that will fit!

Joel.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »

Quote from: "brendjill"
Where do you live mate, you've been a gent and answered all my questions so far I reckon I owe you a beer!

I am no tech head at all  :oops: , just had a Cherokee & Wrangler for over 4 years & you come across most of these issues in that time.

I too was new to Jeeps & had to ask on here, so just repeating my experiences & solid info I have learned over the years from vastly more knowledgeable folks here on Birty's.

Its just nice to be able to share that info, oh, & dont be scared by any no nonsense answers folks may give, they just tell it like it is with no BS.

Have fun with your Jeep    8-)
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:43:32 AM »

I appreciate all the help! Hopefull someone will ask a question that I can answer!

I'm going to see if I can unscrew the spot and take a look!

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »

I found the screw, it was on the plastic holder which supports the weight of the spot at the bottom and tightens to hold it in place. Switch the bulbs around and still only the left is working. The right one came on momentarily and then went off again. :?: The bulb is a weird looking thing and halfords don't have anything like it.  

Anyone know where I can source these types of bulbs ?

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 06:11:02 PM »

we would need to see a pic of the bulb then I am sure one of us will recognise it
It could be one of the weird types they use in the US , so it may be easier and cheaper to replace both lamps with a uk friendly type

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

here is the bulb and the bulb holder:

It's defo the bulb, just switched them around and confirmed. Thanks for all your help fellas. Now I need to find a replacement, will this work:

http://www.worcesterautoelectrical.com/ ... tion=-NaN-[/img]

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »

thats defo a weird one, you could just find the same shape /wattage bulb ( looks a 55 watt) and solder it in to replace the original one but remember to clean the glass and keep your hands off of it when you fit it!

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

do you think the one in the link will work !!

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 08:21:19 PM »

it could be worth a try.where do you live as it may be able to find someone close who can help you

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 08:37:09 PM »

I live in Horsham, West Sussex.

Don't suppose you know anyone who lives close that fancies helping me change the rear springs do you ??   :-D

Panic mechanic!

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »

no one that i can think of but if you were up in the midlands i would have offered my help as I aint doing much, having been made redundant! lol

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 09:05:59 PM »

Quote from: "Panic mechanic!"
no one that i can think of but if you were up in the midlands i would have offered my help as I aint doing much, having been made redundant! lol

you're a gent mate, sorry to hear about your job !!

brendjill

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »

I found these and reckon they are right for the job, they all look the same size (measurement and 12v) but the wattage is different - 55w, 100w & 130W:

http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=80

http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=247

http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=86

The current ones are 55w, would I benefit from putting higher wattage bulbs in ??
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up