Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project: CB in my TJ  (Read 3797 times)

PtP

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Stourbridge, West Midlands
Project: CB in my TJ
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »

I know some of you will have seen this before, but I thought I’d post it here before it gets lost when I pull the JA site.

Having seen a post on another forum about fitting a CB into a TJ got me thinking one would be handy when green laneing. I liked the look of the overhead mounting bar and decided to make one!

I don’t have supplies of steel or welding equipment, just a drill and a hacksaw etc. So a quick trip to B&Q to pick up the steel: 2 metre length of 35mm x 20mm tube and a 1 metre length of 30mm x 3mm solid bar - cost: £15.19.

These pictures show what the finished bar looks like. The additional costs were a few M5 bolts and dome nuts, a can of spray paint and two M8 x 80 mm bolts for fixing the whole mounting bar in place. The total cost was just over £20.

I didn’t have to drill any holes in the Jeep to fit all this lot!

I’m thinking I might move the whole rig forward a couple of inches on a steel plate to support the rig bracket as there is room and it would make it a little easier to see, but I’m not sure that this is really necessary.

This pictures shows the gap between the mounting bar and the top latches which is just sufficient not to trap your fingers. The bar could have been mounted 10-15mm forward, but you would always be fiddling to work the latches.

I also used a piece if the steel tube to make a mount for the aerial which is fixed in place using two of the existing bolts which hold the spare wheel carrier to the tailgate. I modified an old aerial gutter mount and fixed this to the steel tube. You could easily bend a piece of the left over flat bar for this part.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up