Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: expiry dates on gas tanks ? check your lpg jeep  (Read 8079 times)

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
expiry dates on gas tanks ? check your lpg jeep
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »

so can it true that there effectivly is a use by date on the gas tank slung under your truck ? and its now part of the mot and the world will end at 6pm next thursday just after i have eaten my tea ?

it would seem so but i dont know myself about such things

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: expiry dates on gas tanks ? check your lpg jeep
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:32:35 PM »

Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

scrw

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »

unsure about it being an MOT test item but yes they have a lifespan, about 10 years IIRC, unsure if you can get them re certified or not

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »

no idea was told might need new tanks ? and its now mot and has to be on a register held by god who will strike you dead if its not on this register

funny thing is i never heard of gas tanks only havin a ten year life my bro has had one on his central heating well over 20yrs same with fork lifts

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

scrw

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »

its all revenue generating bollocks

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »

funny thing is i never heard of gas tanks only havin a ten year life my bro has had one on his central heating well over 20yrs same with fork lifts

yes but I doubt , your brothers central heating system is hung under a vehicle and sprayed with salt every winter or covered in damp mud,and left to rust. Central heating systems aren't checked cos they are generally serviced on a regular basis and kept in decent environment, as for fork lifts, the gas tanks are of the re usable type so hence the supplier scraps them when they are out of date, hence all the ones that end up in scrap yards, if they pikeys don't get them first.
the other thing is the life is not just 10 years , it just needs to be pressure tested and re certified in much the same way that boilers on traction engines have to be checked, its just usually more normal for  them to be replaced as its generally cheaper to do.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »

indeed this may be the case i am unsure as to how wide this info is known as its very new to me

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »

i dont doubt the info cas any bad news that can cost me cash i dont have or generaly fuck my plans up tends to be true

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:30:51 PM »

it costs us all usually  and usually when we don't have the spare dosh to sort it.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »

well trust me i have no cash to spare and my daughters are eroding what i have with unexpected costs that are frankly putting the whole plan in real jeapardy i dont want to fail on this but its dodgey

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »

The date on the tank isn't mentioned at http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_720.htm just leaks.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »

From what I have been lead to beleive when you take the vehicle for the MOT you will have to show the tester a valid installation  certificate or it will have to be registered on the drivelpg website ( as lpg certificates are no longer issued), hence if the date of installation , if over 10 years old will not be valid and the tanks will be out of date, so it will need to be re tested.

This is what the friendly womble told us at the limo company as they were looking to get a older limo fitted with lpg  but then vosa have never been wrong have they?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »

What a load of old bollox. Mine's not on the register, has a dodgy certificate that anyone could have knocked up and printed out and I've never been asked for either for insurance and that's with several different companies.

Haven't heard anything about tank lifespan but seeing as my XJ has went through 4 MOTs with a dodgy disabled ABS system and the last test was passed even with some interesting emissions printouts I'm not too concerned.

Keep up the "we're all doomed" debate though  :popcorn:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »

its not all doom I  only heard about it first  with the insurance I was with direct line and when i swapped from the pt cruiser , I told them the vehicle they  checked on the drive lpg website and found it was not registered then  downgraded my cover to 3rd party only until it was registered and the vehicle was then tagged on the insurance database.

AA
Admiral Insurance
Allianz
Aviva Insurance
Bell Insurance
Churchill
Co-operative Insurance
Cornish Mutual Insurance
Diamond Insurance
Direct Line
Egg Insurance
Elephant Insurance
Insurethebox
Marketstudy Insurance
NatWest Insurance
NFU Mutual
Privilege
Prudential
Royal Bank of Scotland Car Insurance
Royal London
Sabre Insurance
Saga Insurance
Zenith Insurance

these are the current insurance companies that use the register

Bishops Finger

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

Remind me again...who has posted on this forum LPG is an overcomplicated space using up hidden cost pile of shit... :wave-fingersmiely: :hysterical:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:01 PM »

dont talk about panic that way he is only trying to help bish you are not helping this thread is about lpg

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »

Re. MOT, what's the method of checking age? Asking for paperwork seem like it'd be prone to all sorts of difficulty and arguments when people haven't heard of the changes and I'm not sure looking for plates on tanks would be any easier

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:08:05 PM »

people will always see things different ways, we all know dodgy garages etc and thats life, me I try to go about it the right way cos I don't want someone suing the ass off me and losing my house, savings and thats just defending myself, I can't afford it. You make your choice but if it bites you in ass , don't come fuckin moanin.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »

I think the system's bollox not you or any legit garage. I just wonder how these new items will actually be tested in reality.

I'm starting to lean towards Bish's way of thinking though, 7-8 years ago LPG seemed like an obvious choice, now seems too much bother.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »

dont talk about panic that way he is only trying to help bish you are not helping this thread is about lpg

Not talking about panic...just offering my views yet again..

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

Re. MOT, what's the method of checking age? Asking for paperwork seem like it'd be prone to all sorts of difficulty and arguments when people haven't heard of the changes and I'm not sure looking for plates on tanks would be any easier

you are right there but each tank is numbered and can be traced back to a manufacturer and date of production,( its a pressed steel plate welded to tank ) usually a new tank is fitted  when a new installation is installed from that point on it has 10 years before the certificate expires, if you don't have a certificate then you have to get it checked, usually cost around £50, and then they will now enter it onto the lpg register, if the tank is older and they register it, they will be liable and somehow I don't see them doing that.
thats why when you buy a car with lpg if it doesn;t have a valid lpg cert.walk away.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »

If you look at the link i posted above to the fuel section of the MOT manual no date check is mentioned. Only leaks from gas systems. Insurance may well be another kettle of fish as we all know they are out to fuck us.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »

yup i did look at the link and as you say its not mentioned there, just seems as normal vosa are fucking  up everything whilst doing nothing constructive.

Plank

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 07:14:44 PM »

From looking into this it seems that the VOSA are primarily interested in the actual vehicle emissions and they give you a choice on which fuel type it is to be tested on. As far as I can see just opt for petrol and job's a gud un.

Hillbilly

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: 4 litre Grand WJ
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »

Remind me again...who has posted on this forum LPG is an overcomplicated space using up hidden cost pile of shit... :wave-fingersmiely: :hysterical:
T'is true. LPG has some downsides, but hey Bish I paid 66p per litre this morning. 80 litres £52.80. Unleaded costs  £1.38 =£110.00.  :hysterical:  away for a gut busting Chinese and the Offy with change for the difference. :singing:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up